Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody tried a springer solo seat on a nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
sirwin47
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found a rigid mount kit from these guys here.... cost you about 289.90
http://www.west-eagle.com/07catalog/index.html

Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM
greenandgold
Advanced

Found a place that sells it but they are temporarily out of stock:

http://www.debrix.com/Items/25044-k1...XL%20Sportster

Anyone try this kit?

Last edited by greenandgold; 01-20-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:09 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by greenandgold
Found a place that sells it but they are temporarily out of stock:

http://www.debrix.com/Items/25044-k1...XL%20Sportster

Anyone try this kit?

that looks like a nice kit.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats just a seat kit by Jammer/West Eagle. I had one on my bike a couple years ago and you can find it through the Custom Chrome or Drag catalog and order it from here: http://www.discountcycleparts.com/xc...tomer/home.php

Its a rigid mount kit (no springs), the seat sits too high and it was severely uncomfortable. I had to cut and modify the front mount for the seat I had and it barely cleared the ICM under the seat making it impolssible to use the ICM cover that it comes with. Even with the front of the seat shimmed up the rear was really kicked up making you slide fwd. some. I got rid of the set up after only using it a few times and lost a great deal of money on it.

Here's a shot of it on my bike (looks cool but thats all it had going for it).

The Licks kit or a home made setup will end up working better but for the guys with nighsters and newer FI models its a lot of trouble to do one of the spring seat setups, relocate the huge ECM thats in the fender, fill the hole or replace the fender and repaint. While spring seats and those slim solos are very cool looking and provide some comfort they're truly only a short ride seat (barhopper) and its very difficult to swap them back and forth with a more comfortable or 2-up seat when needed.

Last edited by capttawes; 01-21-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
JustJump
Cruiser

thanks for the good info on that setup Capt. I was actually tempted by that post. I am interested in a springer seat but don't really want to go through the hassle of relocating the ecm, mending/painting the fender, etc. Without your post I may have gotten suckered in.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustJump
thanks for the good info on that setup Capt. I was actually tempted by that post. I am interested in a springer seat but don't really want to go through the hassle of relocating the ecm, mending/painting the fender, etc. Without your post I may have gotten suckered in.
No prob.

Just get a nice slim solo like those from Lepera or www.ccseats.com which will sit you low and look cool. I use my Lepera silhoutte solo shown in my sig. (04-06 style) mostly but the new barebones or silhoutte for the FI models look really good.

When I had that kit it cost me like $120 or so and the Larosa leather solo was another $150 and I bet I only used it 3-4 times and it really sucked. I luckily sold it all for $225 losing money and the guy I sold it to hated the ride and sold it as well. I made an expensive mistake (hey we all do) and figured I'd pass along the wisdom
A number of guys with newer FI models and nightsers have sprung solos that look cool and are pretty tolerable (like the licks kit) but it still really expensive and only looks good if you move the ECM and fill the fender hole or replace it.

Last edited by capttawes; 01-21-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 PM
89heritagesoftail
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gnight
I def. agree with 6o66er though..I give it a little gas and i slide back a little. I might have to modify the pan a little. Just something a little vice and mallet work won't fix[8D]

ah hah!!! i figured it'd do that!
i'm already sliding back to the passenger part, on my stock 2 person sportster seat, now that it's got Licks' rigid struts lowering it.

i am waiting to cut my rear fender at 12 o'clock position, and then install the solo seat from Licks. but i figured since the seat is barely curved, i'd end up sliding back. gonna have a local leather seat fabricator add and bend up the rear of my seat pan, then cover it with tan vinyl.

this is great info from you guys! thanks!
dan

Old 09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
BKNBLK09
Stage II

Originally Posted by nsuecondoc
I am considering going a bit farther with the solo aspect of the Nightster and thought I would try a retro springer solo seat. Anybody tried that on one or any other similar sportster? Got any suggestions about selection? With or without pillion?
Im waitng for my springer seat that I'm ridged mounting to my nightster.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
BKNBLK09
Stage II

I went with West Eagle half inch thick and fliped up back I'.m going to ridged mount it so not to look redundant.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 PM
bikerguy76
Advanced
Default Did a spring seat on my 2010 Iron

It's pretty easy and looks sweet! I used 10 gauge steel and made my own pan bought a seat new from ebay $35 and got two sets of springs $20 It came out awesome! If you make your own pan you don't have to relocate anything because you can manipulate the metal around stuff, I didn't move a thing! It is a little slick though so just make sure you're holding on if you plan on gunning it off the line!

Quick Reply: Anybody tried a springer solo seat on a nightster?