Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I? Or shouldn't I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008 | 10:32 PM
Wolf4dk
|
Cruiser
Default Should I? Or shouldn't I?

Well, there has been this debate at work that weather or not the 5000 miles dealer service is worth it to bring in or do it yourself? Some say it's better to have the dealer do it because they know what they are looking for. And others say that they charge too much and they don't do half of what they say they do. If they followed what the book says about the service intervals for everything and what to check, they should be able to do at home. I guess is it worth the money for the dealer to do it and hope they check everything? Or do it yourself and then you know things where checked and hope you didn't miss anything? Not to mention weather or not they would honor a warranty issue if you did do your own service. Maybe we can lay the horse to rest with some of your answers. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2008 | 10:47 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Should I? Or shouldn't I?

I had mine done at the stealer cause it's still under warranty, once the warranty runs out my bike will never darken their door again.
i think it was $325.00 including HD syn & chrome filter. (yes I am using HD oil till the warranty runs out too)

Old 04-26-2008 | 10:50 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior

I guess it all depends on your wrenching ability. If your mechanically inclined there is nothing better than doing your own service. If your not, then having it done at a reputable dealer, either HD dealership or a qualified Indy may be the ticket.

Old 04-26-2008 | 10:59 PM
seven7
Tourer

buy yourself a manual and do it yourself, if you can read ,you can do it!!!

Old 04-26-2008 | 11:02 PM
Wolf4dk
|
Cruiser

I con do it! I mean, I can do it. I have been meening to get one anyways.

Old 04-26-2008 | 11:06 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior

Then go for it, get all the necessary tools and have at it

Old 04-26-2008 | 11:06 PM
jackofhearts
Tourer

Do it your self. That is so basic you can, and it is a great way to get to know your bike, capacities parts,locations,etc. I went through the book and initialed and dated each item as I did it just as if I was a tech, and there is a written record that it was done.

Old 04-27-2008 | 05:36 AM
WVleo
Road Master

Hi, I have the manual, but My dealer gave Me a print out of what they would do at the 5,000 mile service and the cost of $260 otd . As I change My own oil using Mobil 1 I am going to see what the cost is without fluid changes and go from there . It all depends on what Your time is worth versus what they charge. Now this is a dealership that I trust to accomplish all the tasks in the manual also. I have to factor in the problem I have with tools also LOL LOL ! ...........WVleo

Old 04-27-2008 | 07:12 AM
running back
Cruiser

A service manual and those 3 hour running hog tapes should be all you need and the right tools.

Old 04-27-2008 | 07:14 AM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HOTLAP

I had mine done at the stealer cause it's still under warranty, once the warranty runs out my bike will never darken their door again.
i think it was $325.00 including HD syn & chrome filter. (yes I am using HD oil till the warranty runs out too)
Mine will go to the dealer as well for as long as it has a warranty. In the mean time I will learn to tinker with my bike so that when the warranty does run out, I can do my own.

Quick Reply: Should I? Or shouldn't I?