Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mufflers - can't explain the feeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New mufflers - can't explain the feeling

I just bought, and hubby installed, some Rush slip-ons with 2.25" baffles on my Nightster. Now I have always SAID, and I THOUGHT I believed it, that louder pipes really didn't mean that much to me - yeah, I guess they sound nice - but I'm just fine with my stock pipes, yada yada yada. Well. I started feeling like such a woos riding with our friends, all who have "bigger" and most of them louder, bikes. So, I ordered the Rush pipes. Got what I felt was a pretty good deal on them. At least they were in my budget range.

Got home from work today. Hubby had put on the new pipes (also did a "test ride" for me). He started it up in the driveway, and my jaw dropped. Much louder than I thought they'd be - but WOW! So, I cooked dinner, and then I said "I just HAVE to go for a little spin". I went out and started her up - and I actually jumped - it startled me a bit!!

Now this is the where I'm at a loss for words. I just can't explain the feeling of riding that SAME bike, but with a different - LOUDER, DEEEPER- sound. It was just awesome, and I feel so ashamed but riding around I felt my "cool factor" has shot up 100% and I love it. I loved my bike before, but now I am 1000% happy. And now, riding behind my husband, I can hear my OWN engine rather than HIS (He has a Night Train with the Rush slip-ons).

Idon't really want to spend the money right now for allsorts of other fancy stuff done to the bike - air filters, re-mapping, dyno, whatever, so figured I'd chance it and see how the bike runs just having popped on the slip-ons, nothing else.

If anyone is thinking of slip-ons for THEIR Nighster, all I can tell you is for ME - it's just what I wanted in sound - and more. Definitely louder than I expected - but not obnoxious. Nice rumbly sound. Oh - I could go on and on.

Just had to share. Life is good. I'm a big girl now. Or at least I SOUND like one

Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Amzie
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New mufflers - can't explain the feeling

Coolness!!
I know what you are saying. I still miss the deep rumble (I now have cycle shack slash cuts) but I LOVE it that my bike is louder than Bro's couch harley.
And everytime he looks at mine and says "damn that bike is loud" ... I know what he really means is .. I wish mine sounded like that.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:09 PM
SHOAT
Road Master

Only problem I have found with my pipes is that they causean uncontrollable urge totwist the throttle in excess when climbing through te gears.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SHOAT

Only problem I have found with my pipes is that they causean uncontrollable urge totwist the throttle in excess when climbing through te gears.
+1

Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Dang...you sound like one happy soul...it makes ya feel really good when you do something to your bike that just improves it beyond belief.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/73B31C4C4FDA4FE3AACADF0EBAB540B6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

When I got my 1200L in fall 2006, my first Harley, I thought it was really loud. After I rode it for 3 weeks, not happy. Bought the Screaming eagle 2, wow it sounded like a real Harley. After the winter, rode the bike for another 2 months and I decide to get something even louder, so I bought the V&H straight shot, love the deep tone. I think I am pretty happy now until I find something better lol, you never know.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 PM
wolverine66
Cruiser

I know what you mean I love my bike when I bought it, then after I put on V&H slip ons. WOW
Now my wife tells me everytime we go for a ride you take off likea bat out of hell because you love the sound so much..

Glad to hear you are Happy!!!!

Wolvie

Old 04-26-2008, 02:55 AM
towboattrash34
Banned

i bought the wife some slipons and put on her sporty.... not sure she likes it..the bike even vibrates alot harder now she said.....lol...
when we ride together she is always in front by several bike links and she could always hear mine over her stock muffler... maby she will get used to it cause i know it runs better or it sounds like it..........lol anyway the slipons i got her were from licks cycles and they have some kind of packing in them that stinks...yes we were going down the road and it stunk behind her.... i told her she stunk and did she fart...hahahaha hope it burns out for much longer i would hate for her bike to fart on my friends...........

Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 128auto

When I got my 1200L in fall 2006, my first Harley, I thought it was really loud. After I rode it for 3 weeks, not happy. Bought the Screaming eagle 2, wow it sounded like a real Harley. After the winter, rode the bike for another 2 months and I decide to get something even louder, so I bought the V&H straight shot, love the deep tone. I think I am pretty happy now until I find something better lol, you never know.

I think that's IT ! I feel it now "sounds like a real Harley" !! Even my hubby said, when he got HIS pipes "I finally got a Harley - I want it to SOUND like a Harley". I guess a Harley sounds like a Harley, even stock, but the problem is no one can HEAR it sound like a Harley, lol!

Yup, I woke up with that feeling of "Now THIS is MY bike and I'm gonna keep it for a long time 'cause I really, really love it now". I guess that's what it's all about - making one's bike just perfect for them. It may not be anyone else's idea of the perfect bike, but that's not what matters. You gotta have it set up to look and perform and be functional to your own personal satisfaction. And when that happens, all you want to do is ride, ride ride. Speaking of which ........... bye

Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 AM
CH66
6th Gear

Perch - I will be picking up my Nightster this week. Since you're a bit ahead of me, I always enjoy hearing about your experiences. Gonna have to keep the Rush slip-ons in mind! Enjoy!

Quick Reply: New mufflers - can't explain the feeling