Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mufflers - can't explain the feeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New mufflers - can't explain the feeling

ORIGINAL: Perch

I just bought, and hubby installed, some Rush slip-ons with 2.25" baffles on my Nightster. Now this is the where I'm at a loss for words. I just can't explain the feeling of riding that SAME bike, but with a different - LOUDER, DEEEPER- sound. It was just awesome, and I feel so ashamed but riding around I felt my "cool factor" has shot up 100% and I love it. I loved my bike before, but now I am 1000% happy. And now, riding behind my husband, I can hear my OWN engine rather than HIS (He has a Night Train with the Rush slip-ons).
Its sooo awesome. I did the same thing to my 883C just a few weeks back and WOW what a difference. My friends all laugh and say that it now SOUNDS like a Harley.

Idon't really want to spend the money right now for allsorts of other fancy stuff done to the bike - air filters, re-mapping, dyno, whatever, so figured I'd chance it and see how the bike runs just having popped on the slip-ons, nothing else.
I checked with everyone here, and my indy, and even a couple of the guys at the shop and they all told me that as long as I only chanaged the mufflers I'd be fine. I DID, however disconnect the battery for a while, as that seems to force the ECM to reprogram itself for the slight differences. I have had NO problems. The bike runs great and SOUNDS great! One of the BEST things I've done for the bike.

And BTW yesterday I was riding on the freeway, and some guy in a cage decided he was going to merge over into my lane... I hit the throttle and let those pipes rip, and he literally JUMPED in the driver's seat. Apparently he didn't see me but he sure as heck HEARD me. HAHAHA

Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 PM
jedsporty883
Tourer

There's nothing like hearing that idle, either. It will turn heads. Our friend who has the 1200 Sportster trike got V&H slip-ons last week. She loves the sound. I'm going to be listening to a lot of pipes in a few days. I have Rush, they make the 883 sound deep. I'll bet the 1200 sounds even better.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:25 PM
gopher
Advanced

Bit of a bump here, but I just got a Thunderheader on my Nightster. Holy Crap!!!! Had to take the long road home from the shop. I don't know how much stock to put in it, but the dyno paper is showing a 20% increase in HP and torque. It seemed to jump a bit when I laid on it. Or maybe that was me lifting the bike from&nbsp\\;jumping at the new&nbsp\\;sound...

Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
MY08Roady?
Advanced

You made it really hard to wait till Saturday to put the short shot on.&nbsp\\; Got the Stage 1 intake and fuelpak also waiting...

Old 07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
steveny914
6th Gear

I thought these days women were installing there own slip-ons \\

Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 AM
kiltedchef75
Novice

I know it's been asked again and again, but I just want to be sure before I press "submit" on the order button...If I just install Rush slip-ons and make no changes to the A/C, it would seem that I do not need a remap, is this correct?&nbsp\\; I'll eventually do the stage I, but the budget doesn't allow for it right now, so it's just slip-ons.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer

ORIGINAL: kiltedchef75

I know it's been asked again and again, but I just want to be sure before I press "submit" on the order button...If I just install Rush slip-ons and make no changes to the A/C, it would seem that I do not need a remap, is this correct?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I'll eventually do the stage I, but the budget doesn't allow for it right now, so it's just slip-ons.
Right.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I had cycle shacks on my bike with no air cleaner or remap for over 3,000 miles.&nbsp\\; No lean popping, plugs were fine.