Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim paint good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:58 PM
perk21
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denim paint good or bad

I am going to buy a nightster but cant decide between the black and silver denim or the orange and black. I was told the denim paint may get shinny spots on it from being rubbed. what has everyones experience been with the denim paint. Thanks PERK

Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 PM
northern64
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Denim paint good or bad

So far so good with the denim paint here........it wears dirt very well!
I know if i had a more glossy finish i would be way more concerned about scratches and what not, but with the denim paint i dont notice any.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:19 PM
gopher
Advanced

Likewise, I haven't had any problems with shiny spots, but I only have 1000 miles so far. And Northern64 has it right. I would be way more freaked about the paint if I had gloss. I hope to have a bike that looks well used rather than a pristine show room ride. Some people can keep their bikes shiny, I just happen to not be one of them...

Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Werbeck
Tourer

The denim finish is really easy to maintain, just wipe it down with that Honda cleaner or Pig Snott, it doesn't show any finger prints or swirls. They say it is supposed to fade with age like blue jeans, but I think that might be just urban legend.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
debbiesnacks
Advanced

I too had this conundrum. My solution: I put the orange and black right next to the silver/black and where the orange and black demanded attention - the silver and black looked more nastalgic. I'd also like to add that my sister has had her Vivid black nightster for just under a year, and I can already see paint swirlies (as I call them, really more like little wax circles).

I chose Silver and Black Denim based on paint swirlies. Also I REALLY wanted all black denim, or orange and black denim (I've seen a custom paint job with this and it's phenominal looking) but of course, they'll probably come out with those in 2009.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
perk21
Advanced

Thanks everyone. Still not sure which one to buy I really like the orange and black. However the dealer has a silver and black with mini apes and forward controls ready to drive off the floor. I would have to wait till he ordered the mini apes and the forward controls for the orange and black. the wife may never le
t me buy again sotrying to make sure I get what I want

Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're the sort who likes rat bikes with rattle can matte black paint jobs then you'll get along with denim just fine.If you expect it to hold up like a real paint job with a clear coat you will be sadly dissapointed.I wore shiny spots on my back fender day two (long story) if I had it to do over again I would have got vivid black.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 AM
sprayandpray
Tourer

I got a scratch mark on my night train in denim from a zippr touching the paint where I bungee'd a jacket down, Not that i am really worried about it, ....... If iw was gloss i would compound it out, can;t do that to denim, If you want to keep it showroom , buy gloss, If you don't mind "riding indicators" go with the denim.....

ME? I freaking love the rat look, My last bike was painted bedliner color.......

Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 AM
debbiesnacks
Advanced

Be careful with waiting Perk - Harley stopped producing Sportsters and V-Rods for the year. Ordering one isn't an option.(He could, of course, locate the bike and buy it from another dealership but I'm not sure how your dealer works.) I had an open sale with a vrod and it got cancelled after we've been waiting for the bike for 2 months.