Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subconscious?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008 | 11:07 PM
jmpodgorny
|
Novice
Default RE: Subconscious?

You guys are TOO MUCH!!!Makin me laugh.... Actually neck is feelin better. Worked it out washing the bike!!!! On another note, I've heard that the newer riders should stay in front of the pack? but I like following. Kinda gives me a heads up on what the road holds ahead. Why should I be up front? (How come I get the feeling this might get naughty?)

Old 04-24-2008 | 11:15 PM
gopher
Advanced

ORIGINAL: PimptraGlide

Its a good excuse to get into the spa, where generally there is cute young massage thereapists. Woo hoo!
HA!!! I got my first massage a couple months ago because of a sore neck. Yeah, it felt a little wierd being rubbed down by a cute young "sporst massage therapist" for compensation. Funny thing is, my boss pointed out that it isn't such a bad thing...

As far as riding up front, my first ride a couple months ago was with about 70 bikes in the Boise area. I was about #14 or so. I asked the guys behind me how I did and they didn't know what I was talking about. Just keep up and stay in your lane. You have to have your first sometime...it usually happens after a massage, right????

Old 04-25-2008 | 06:48 AM
TigerofH
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jmpodgorny

You guys are TOO MUCH!!!Makin me laugh.... Actually neck is feelin better. Worked it out washing the bike!!!! On another note, I've heard that the newer riders should stay in front of the pack? but I like following. Kinda gives me a heads up on what the road holds ahead. Why should I be up front? (How come I get the feeling this might get naughty?)
At the risk of keeping this clean, according to the Idiana permit test deal, you're supposed to keep newer riders up front around the leaders so you can have more experienced riders "watch over them". Also they know what is coming up by staying behind the leader.

Old 04-25-2008 | 06:57 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jmpodgorny

I'm tempted to join the fun, but I'll refrain and be serious....mostly!

Newer riders are up front for a couple of reasons, and honestly, I don't know what they all are. But the further up front you are,the less the "accordian effect", especially at a four way stop. I've had the leader accelerate normally, and by the time it was my turn to go through the intersection, Ibrought itup to 80 mph to catch up! and I wasn't the last one in line, either! The road captain is in back, watching everyone, and playing "blocker" for the grouppassingslower vehicles. The leader is...well...leading. His position isleft front. The second bike is one second behind to the right of the lane. The third bike istwoseconds directly behind theleader (an excellent place for you to be, btw), and one second behind the second bike, which is tothe right. The more bikes, the harder it is to keep this pace. The rearward bikes also have to brake harder. I've almost runup right besideanother bike in a corner, and had to trail brake hardthrough the curve, something I don't like to do. It's alsodisconcerting for the other rider seeing anotherbike pull up beside him in mid-curve. It's alsodangerous. It's easier for a newbie to ridetoward thefront to avoid these problems. The best position for you is directly behind the leader (left side of the lane) or directly behind the second bike (right side of the lane). Most importantly, ride your own ride. If you start lagging behind, a good leader will slow downto YOUR level and not expect you to try to keep up. The closeryou are to the front, the quicker and more clearly the leader can see this and adjust accordingly. DO NOT RIDE FASTER THAN YOUR ABILITY! It's tempting to "try to keep up", but trust me...riding in a group is not the time or place to testyour limits...especially on curves.

It's too late for these suggestions now, seeing how I'm posting this on the day of the ride, but boning up on hand signals is also very good, especially pointing at potential road hazards. Some groups use a lot of them, and others only use a few of them. In groups that I ride with, the most common ones are pointing at road hazards, slow down/stop, and I'll usually throw in right and left turn hand signals, although most of us are using our bike turn signals, too.

Good luck and you'll have a blast! We want a ride report after you're done! Maybe pics, too!

Teek