Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil on frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
snake883
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil on frame

hey folks. I got an 06 883 custom with 1800 miles. after i ride a hundred miles, or so, i notice that i have some oil residue on the left rear of the frame. Took it in for an oil and primary change yesterday and told the tech what i saw, he couldn't find anything out of the ordinary or any evidence of a leak.I did however clean it all off about fourty miles prior to the oil change. I told him i saw what seemed to be some sort of breater tube around the same area. it looked to me like it was just a fuel vent. he traced the tube to the fuel tankand said the same thing, so it shouldn't be coming from that. anyway, I've rode another 60 miles or so and i can see the same oil residue running down the frame again. I cant seem to locate the source. the case seems to be dry, it actually looks like the frame is leaking oil??? it's right behind the case on the primary side under the passenger peg before the swing-arm. the technician did not have a bike lift available and did the oil changes on the floor so he really couldnt see underneath the bike any better than i could. any ideas? thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: oil on frame

Brake fluid leak?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 AM
snake883
5th Gear

when i first noticed it, i thought maybe the same thing, but it really seems to be engine oil. has a slight gas smell so i dont think its a primary vent or leak. it seems to start where the crossmember that connects one side of the frame to the other side, and then it slowly seeps down the left side from there. it's dry above the crossmember.other than the frame being damp, everything else looks dry. i cleaned it all off again, I'll see if i can find a source in another couple hundred miles. it's not terrible by any means. Inever even see a spot where i park. I see it when i clean the bike andit just boggles me for the simple fact that i have no idea where it's coming from. i've looked under it several times. I'lluse a little mirror next time to see if i can find another angle since i can't fit my head under there to look straight up thanks for the input

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if maybe the oil drain tube is leaking??

Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
snake883
5th Gear

i've checked the drain tube closely for obvious reasons and it's always dry. if it is coming from the drain hose it definetly doesn't leave any evidence behind. i've looked under the case from the front to the back thinking maybe wind might be blowing the leak back and up the frame, I can only find damp frame. after a while it will create a little drop dangling from the bottom. if the bike just sits it will not create dampness or show a leak. i have to ride it quite a while before it shows up again.possibly a hidden blow-by vent or breather back there i'm just not seeing?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:51 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 1988 and after i power clean the entire bike, after 50 miles or so, my entire rear swing arm is covered in what looks like oil mist, but it seems to be a combination of some oil, mostly road grime that the tire kicks up, and occasionally some gas from when my carb is acting up.

i think its the rear tires problem though, small specks of rubber get flung up and they stick to the frame and accumulate, also they look and smell like oil becusae the road is full of old oil. just my 2 cents

Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM
PSYCHOFREAK3
Advanced

I had a similar problem where I blew a headgasket and when cruising down the hightway it would drip off the block and hit about the same spot, well that and my leg of course. On short rides not very noticible but I went on a good 4 hour ride and my jeans were covered as well as the swingarm.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:34 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hummm....dunno. Sounds like the infamous air cleaner blow by leak, but it's on the wrong part of the bike for that.

Almost has to be either the rocker cover gasket, head gasket, or the gasket on the lower end of the rear jug. But you would think that would result in oil, in a few other places as well.

Edit: could possibly be from the Tranny. Change the tranny lub to Mobil 1 75w 90 gear oil (which is a good thing anyway). Then if it's the tranny, you can smell that stinky gear oil.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Mine has a crank case vent in that area, it's a larger (maybe 3/8" hose) that comes out of the crank case right behind the back cylinder and curves down behind the cover almost directly above the derby cover, it looks like it keeps going but if you pull up on it a bit you see that it just ends there. If you have blow by it would cause oil to build up in the area your talking about after extended high RPM riding.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:12 AM
trailey97
Tourer

same prob cant figure it out

its just one of those things

ive got hellacious blow by as well from the air cleaner sucks

Quick Reply: oil on frame