Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike just cut out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default bike just cut out?

2006 883L 6802 miles. 240 of those are break in miles with the new 1200 conversion I just got.

Riding tonight, just before turning into a parking lot, the bike got real quiet and I realize it just had cut out. I can't for the life of me figure out why?!? I think it happened right after I pulled my clutch in and when I signaled to the right. Now, maybe I hit the shut off switch, but I can't really be sure, as I flipped it up and down a few times when I came to a stop and don't remember where it was set at first. Bike started right up. This was after about 20 miles of riding. Continued for about another 10 or 15 trouble free miles after that.

It's wierd as I put on about 200 or so miles this weekend and this has never happened before... well it has, but it's always been the petcock that was turned to off..

the petcock was in the ON postition, and I had only ridden about 30 miles since I last filled up.... and i've been getting about 50 miles per gallon since the conversion.. so it's not the gas.

bike did not stutter whatsoever. It has been running awesome as it usually does... it just cut out.

any ideas?? Probable operator error??

Thanks,

Rob

Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: bike just cut out?

Sounds like maybe you hit the run/stop switch instead of the turn signal.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
rob i
Road Master

that's a possibility... but I can't imagine doing it. I've never done it before.... I've had this bike since it was brand new and this has never happened before.

is there any mechanical reason that a bike would just cut out without giving signs of stuttering first?

The bike started right back up and ran perfectly fine after this.

Rob

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has done this a few times. I believe it has happened when I was in first, even with the clutch sqeezed but not giving it any gas not even the slightiest bit. Then I hit the start and it fires fine. Just noticed it when I was at a crawl speed. Maybe I didn't have the clutch pulled in all the way I think.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

It has happened to me a couple of times. It turned out to be a loose battery cable connection on the ground side. Clean and tighten all four points of connection on your battery cables. It worked for me . . .

Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM
rob i
Road Master

I thought battery connection as well, but kinda ruled that out as I could see the oil light lit up when the bike cut out... as if it were just turned off.

man, it just boggles my mind. Now I'm gonna have to call my indie and they're just gonna think i'm an idiot.

I guess the most probably scenerio is that I hit the engine shutoff switch... but I have a heard time swallowing that.

I appreciate the responses.. Would love some more input.

thanks,
rob

Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
rob i
Road Master

I just got off the phone with my local indie that does all the work on my bike. He thinks i hit the switch. He said that I wouldn't have seen those dummy lights had it been a loose battery terminal.. Plus, my bike was just taken out of storage and I am quite sure that they properly tightened the terminals. I guess it's possible to have shut the bike down by slightly hitting the switch, but not completely moving it to the off position?

He thought it was a non issue and not something to worry about.

i'll keep you posted.

Rob