Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket Cover Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
abburez
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket Cover Install Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the forum. I don't usually post but I always love reading the helpful advice and checking out your sweet rides (Werbeck, 6066er, dbleagle, Chad1200--love your rides!). Anyways, Ibought a few chrome pieces from Robs Cycle Supply, including chrome belt guards and a chrome sprocket cover. My plan is to jack the bike up on a lift and install the sprocket cover and belt guards. I'm just wondering if the job is going to be that easy. Is there anything I should keep in mind while making these additions? I'll have my service manual in hand throughout the process, I'm just looking to gain some wisdom from anyone that has already done this.

Thanks in advance! I'll be sure to post some sweet pics when done.

Peace,

Z

Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior
Default RE: Sprocket Cover Install Question

Unless you just don't like laying on the drivewayyou don't even need to jack the bike up for them mods.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 PM
mstakern
Tourer

You will need to jack the bike up to install the sprocket cover, since the rear wheel will need to come off. Actually you don't need to completly pull the rear wheel out. Loosen the pully bolts before jacking it up, pull the axle out, and then install the sprocket cover. Pretty easy, just make sure the bike is stable on the jack.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

My bad, got distracted and missed the sprocket cover part.I will go back under my rock now.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 AM
jackofhearts
Tourer

take the wheel off, it is easier as those bolts are tight, and, it is easy to damage your new chrome. my .02 I loke Rob's stuff by the way, and good service too.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did my sprocket last week.....wheel needs to come off cause bolts are really tight and you need to clean old locktite out of holes.....

Trick to reinstalling wheel: remove old belt guards and leave off till rear wheel is reinstalled, then install new belt guards.....makes it so much easier to manipulate wheel/brake/spacers/belt with belt guards off.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll agree not much to it though I didn't do the rear wheel thing... I had just got new tires and had an Indy put the new tires on so I let them put the pulley cover and polished rotor on at that time....

Good luck... ride safe...

Charlie D.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree its just takes some time and patience, I covered the chrome parts with masking tape when re installing the wheel so not to scratch the new chrome.

Probably have to remove the rear exhaust to get the wheel axle out, great engineering on H/D's part.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:26 PM
abburez
Novice

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I really appreciate it.

Thomas, I've looked at my aftermarket Samson straight shot pipes, and it doesn't seem like they will interfere with the removal of the axle. I can see how certain pipes would cause a problem and necessitate removal. Hopefully, I can get around it. If not, I won't complain. A few more hours of turning a wrench only adds to the beauty of the ride.

Jackofhearts, I just recently discovered Rob's stuff and now I'm addicted. Next month I think I'm going to get the chrome oil tank/battery covers and maybe even splurge and get the chrome handlebar controls. We'll see...I love spending money on my baby. My big mod will come this summer when I do the wide glide conversion (with 3-5 degree rake) and slap a nice big white-walled tire on the front. I'm getting ready for my cruise up to Montana this summer for the ******** Festival. Rocky Mountain oyesters here I come!

Peace,

Z

Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 PM
jackofhearts
Tourer

abburz, Yea, I have bought a bit from him, he was very responsive about answering questions. Hey, I bought two chrome side covers from the stealer, and do not want them. Genuine Harley, and paid over a hundred each. I recall Rob has them for a lot less, but I do want to sell mine and let them go cheap. If you want them now, PM me with a email address.

Quick Reply: Sprocket Cover Install Question