Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potentially an XL1200N

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Amzie
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Potentially an XL1200N

Well, ... I don't have a Nightster - but I did consider one seriously before I bought what I have as my first bike.
The girl at the dealship saw how serious I was, and she had been looking at the bike herself. I went to buy my boots, turned around and there was a 'don't sit - sold' sign on the Nightster.. guess I pushed her into making her mind up.
Anyway, I would think if you are comfy on the Softails - you can handle the Nightster. Take the MSF class and really get comfy .. then go for it I say.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 AM
psuperti
1st Gear

Yo the bike is awesome! I'm self taught on a shadow, but the nightster is easier to control.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM
2kanzam
Tourer

This Nightster is my first bike and first MC riding experienceother than 4 wheelers. I had no problem at all....I got it 6 months ago have 1400 miles and no regrets about starting with it. I say go for it!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
ShepDog1
Novice

Go with the bike you want but take the MSC. Most rookies get in trouble on curves with issues of speed and braking. Most bikes are dropped in parking lots. Buddy up with experinced riders if you can.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM
jcp123
Advanced

The weight will probably be a bit much, as when I got on my Shadow 1100 (roughly the same weight), it was kind of overwhelming for my 5'7" 125lb stature.The Nightster should carry that weight lower, though, and has a lower seat,both of which are your friends. Motorwise, should be just fine if you're the responsible sort. I never felt overwhelmed by my 1100's power, and it would movereasonably well when you got on it (probably good for high 13's on the dragstrip, again pretty close to the Nightster I would imagine). I have been driving muscle cars since I was in high school though, so I had a fair idea of how to push the power envelope.

The good news? If you got something geared for beginners, your skill level would be beyond the bike's in about a month, you'd be bored, and taking a loss when you traded it for something else.

I'd suggest getting a decent used bike, though. Trust me, WHEN you drop it -and being a recent beginner myself, odds are overwhelming that you WILL drop it - you don't want something you'll cry over. And I imagine you'd cry over a dropped Nightster, I sure would...

Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
debbiesnacks
Advanced

Such a relief!! Thanks for all of the support. I did actually take the MSC before deciding to buy, and I threw the "SOLD" sign on my silver/black Nightster today at work!!!!! I did really well with my riding test on the rebel, butI felt like I was cramped on it. I move bikes around at work all day and this one just feels the most comfortable, maybe someday I'll upgrade - but I'm happy with what I'm getting for now!

Now, black or chrome short shots? power commander?

Bikini pics??? HA. Hubby would have to sign a permission slip on that. hehehe =)

Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Go for chrome short shots. Everyone has black ones.
Silver and black themed Harleys are the best looking yanno

Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there, and welcome. I am about your height but unfortunately have about 10 lbs more weight. The Nightster fits me perfectly. I am flatfooted, and for me the center of gravity is fine. I rode a Suzuki Intruder 800 for my first 1-1/2 riding seasons.(The only experience I had was my learners permit for 6 months 25 years prior to getting my license at age 50!! And I only rode a bike a couple times - first hubby's bike was just too much for me and discourage me) Now THAT was top heavy in comparison. Traded up for an 883 Low which I kept for 4 months before going to the 1200N. I was ready for a bit more oomph after all. That said, I think if you take it easy while learning the bike, from the sounds of it, the Nightster will be a great bike for you. It can get away from you easy though - be careful on the throttle especially when starting up and going from first to second. Good luc, and ride safe!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 PM
pepfan25
Intermediate

go for it. my first bike was also a nightster. if you looking for a bike too get the nightster is the one too start with. it so agile and rider friendley. in no time you will be scrapping those stupid metal pegs that are on the foot rest right off. if you go for the 883. in a few months you'll be wishing for a 1200.. good luck

Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 PM
gutz26m
6th Gear

i bought a nightster in jan of this yr. id never been on a streetbike. from day one i just felt really confortable on the bike. and it took me about a month to get hang of cornering and just overall riding. im 5'9 190 lbs. the reason i bought a nightster is i wanted something i felt like i could handle for my first bike. now im wishing id got my first choice a dyna. lol , i think you will definately be pleased with the nightster. i love mine

Quick Reply: Potentially an XL1200N