Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire checks are important

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire checks are important

So, I have to admit that I got a little lazy lately and was not doing the tire check before riding every day. With the belt on one side, and brake on the other the rear tire was just such a hassle to check that I got lazy on it (and depending on wheel position when parked it was darn near impossible at times).

So, I ride in this morning thinking the front feels a little squirrley so I should check the air when I get home. Looked at the rear but it "looked" fine. Ride home and it's worse, but still can ride. Go to top off the air and discover that the front is fine, but the rear is leaking air as fast as I can fill it. So, I just pulled out a 2" long bolt stuck in the tire that I was probably riding on for 20 miles. Admittedly stupid.

I just hope it has not messed up anything too badly. The good news is that, in a state of weakness, I took the dealer up on their 3 year tire replacement program when I got the motorcycle, so since this was a road hazard I shouldn't have to pay for a new tire. The rim looks OK, but if the bolt tore that up inside I'm supposed to be covered on that as well.

In any case, lesson learned. 1) if it feels "off" leaving the house, turn around and park it back in the garage. 2) Check the air every day before leaving. I'm just glad this didn't happen 200 miles from home.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tire checks are important

You can get valve stem caps that change from green to yellow to red also...makes it alot easier to just glance and see where you're at.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i check mine every morning becuase i got a rubber seal on my valve stem that is cracking. i cant afford to fix it, got zero money, even with my custom guitar business going. i just fill up at the gas station a block from my house.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

i check mine every morning becuase i got a rubber seal on my valve stem that is cracking. i cant afford to fix it, got zero money, even with my custom guitar business going. i just fill up at the gas station a block from my house.

PM me with your address or hit me up on myspace. I have a brand new valve stem from when I thought I had sealed rims...turns out I got tubes.

I can send it out to ya tomorrow if I get time, wednesday at the latest.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

You can get valve stem caps that change from green to yellow to red also...makes it alot easier to just glance and see where you're at.
That sounds like a good plan. I'll have to check into it. Is there a particular brand or place to buy them that is good? I will try a search online to see what I can find also.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

Hell, ya even get 2 extras.....[8D]

http://www.autobarn.net/victor-tire-valve-caps.html

Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

PM me with your address or hit me up on myspace. I have a brand new valve stem from when I thought I had sealed rims...turns out I got tubes.

ill message you, thanks, i tried adding you to my new guitar site, but you dont accept ads from "bands" and my page is my old band page haha

Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

send me the URL, I'll go add you.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:08 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to look at the local auto parts store for those tire valve stem caps.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 AM
johnsquicks10
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: 6o66er

now that's cool..

Quick Reply: Tire checks are important