Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire checks are important

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 AM
hottrocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire checks are important

At very minimum I do a "push test" every first ride. I just push on the tire with the palm of my hand and judging by how much the tire gives I guage where it is at pressure wise. Shouldn't really "give" too much if any...if it gives I add air.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hottrocker
At very minimum I do a "push test" every first ride. I just push on the tire with the palm of my hand and judging by how much the tire gives I guage where it is at pressure wise. Shouldn't really "give" too much if any...if it gives I add air.
Yeah, I was stupid on that one as well. Since the front end felt off I did the push test on the front tire, but didn't think about pushing on the back. I will say that I'm amazed how much the low rear tire threw off turning the front tire as well. Oh well, live and learn.

I think I might swing by Pep Boys to check on those valve caps. I saw that one brand lists them as a reseller. The big trick is finding 40psi caps since all the auto ones will probably top out at 36. The part that sucks is that, between two motorcycles, I have two rear tires that should be at 40psi, one front at 36psi, and one front at 30psi. I found a page online that actually does sell different caps between front and rear, plus a 5th for a "spare" tire so I can theoretically cover all bases that way, but I can't find much feedback on others experiences at this site. Anyone ever shop at garage-toys.com?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Mister H
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: johnsquicks10

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

i check mine every morning becuase i got a rubber seal on my valve stem that is cracking. i cant afford to fix it, got zero money, even with my custom guitar business going. i just fill up at the gas station a block from my house.

PM me with your address or hit me up on myspace. I have a brand new valve stem from when I thought I had sealed rims...turns out I got tubes.

I can send it out to ya tomorrow if I get time, wednesday at the latest.

now that's cool..
I was going to say the same thing! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

You could not be more right about checking often. The dealer put new tires on mine so I figured the pressure was fine. Rode for about 2 weeks and noticed that going around corners was getting very unstable. Got home and checked the pressure. 10 lbs in the front tire! Lucky the tire did not come off going around a corner.
Took it back and found out the valve was bad. Still loses about 1 lb per day.