Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Assist / Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Assist / Control

ORIGINAL: SIM

ORIGINAL: Bradley Jones

I use the throttle lock when ever I need to keep up with buddies on long trips. Besides I only use it for a mile or so just to rest the wrist. I put it just tight enough to hold it in place but I can still twist the throttle, so it's not dangerous........... Unless your a real meat stick. So in other works SIM I guess I'm an Idiot.
Here is the deal. I had a sportster among other bikes. I have glide now as evidenced by my sig. Electronic cruise is nice as hell. I am not here to offend anyone, but a mechanical lock that you cannot be sure you can disengage is not the "best" advice to give on an open forum. You have no idea what the skill level is of the person posting or reading.
well if harley is willing to risk being sued and put it in there owners manual then I am not only willing to use it as stated but tell others about it as well Thanks for the advise but I'll just consult the manual. I was going to take a pic of the page but my camera batteries were dead trust me it's there

Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
SHOAT
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Throttle Rocker II. It doesn't lock your throttle but rather lets you control your throttle with the heel of your hand. You don't even need to grip the throttle.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Nother idiot checking in. I use the throttle lock on long trips. That way I can flip people off with both hands.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yet another idiot checking in. I had fun reading the manual when I first got my bike. Virtually every page had the warning, "Can cause death or serious injury!"

I use the throttle lock screw to keep the throttle open on long trips, but just enough to keep it open and not enough to prevent me from throttling down in a hurry. And I only use itto give my hand a quick break. I don't use it for very long stretches, but I do us it. I'd prefer a lever-actuated device that's easier to manipulate, especially to get that "spring closed" setting back, but I can use the current setup.

Teek

Teek

Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

very happy to read all these responses as it was me that suggested using the throttle lock, before I was "throttled" by sim.

I agree that if it were as terrible of anidea as sim thinks, it wouldn't be in the manual!!!!!!!

rob

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the t-lock lightly....wouldn't tighten it down too tight if I were you, but enough to take the pressure off will be fine. A good way to check is to get it just tight enough to let go for about 3-5 seconds....it should start to slowly roll off by then. If it doesn't, it's too tight.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
MNPEEPS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SHOAT
I use a Throttle Rocker II. It doesn't lock your throttle but rather lets you control your throttle with the heel of your hand. You don't even need to grip the throttle.
I am gonna check this out... TY SHOAT

Maybe after I get a few more miles under my belt I will feel better about the Lock.

Thanks for the feedback.
PEEPS

Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

Another suggestion is a set of grips with a throttle boss.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:37 PM
STEG
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Flatlander

Nother idiot checking in. I use the throttle lock on long trips. That way I can flip people off with both hands.
+2

Old 04-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Another thread on the forums here talking about throttle locks had a link to this:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...;related=short

It's a bit expensive and I can't afford it right now, but I like the fact that it is easy to engage and disengage, and it disengages with the brake lever. I like it a little better than the Kuryakyn option since you don't have to wire this one into the electrical system. I'm also not crazy about being limited to the ISO grips with the Kuryakyn system. The disadvantage to this system (for me) is that I got cushioned grips and you need 1 1/2" grips so you can slide this thing over them.

At some point I need to do something since the last 360 mile day I did really made my hand sore.

Quick Reply: Cruise Assist / Control