Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help please.... where in the hell do I pour the transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
pr_capone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help please.... where in the hell do I pour the transmission fluid?

I've got the Clymer manual and have been able to do almost everything. All the oil has been drained... all new grommets have been installed. Engine oil is in and ready to go.

The only thing missing is the transmission fluid. The Haynes manual says to pour it into the open primary.

WTF does that mean? lol

A picture illustration is missing in my manual so if someone would be so kind as to provide one here so I can finish up... I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: A little help please.... where in the hell do I pour the transmission fluid?

There is no separate tranny fluid in a Sporty. The primary fluid lubes both the primary and the tranny. Fill the primary to spec and you are good to go.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Rusty914
Tourer
Default RE: A little help please.... where in the hell do I pour the transmission fluid?

Actually, it depends. Do you have a kickstand?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:10 PM
pr_capone
Tourer

Sorry... I don't think I made myself too clear... lol I am not mechanically inclined at all but I really want to learn to wrench on my Sporty.

I have no idea where the primary is or where it is. LMFAO

A pic with.... FLUID GOES HERE and an arrow would be most beneficial.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:11 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Look on the left side of the bike when sitting on it and you will see a big round cover held on with many screws. That is the Primary cover. It is saying you have to take that off to pour in primary/transmission fluid after draining it. Make sure the bike is held up and level so it won't spill out.You could also take off the kind of rectangular/oval cover held on with 2 screws that is right above it and add it through there with a long slim funnel.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:11 PM
pr_capone
Tourer

Erm.... yeah.

I put it back on after reading the thread Jock Hog's thread.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:12 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

For you 04, if you haven't removed the Derby cover, you can remove the primary chain inspection cover (2 screws), and just pour the 32oz's in there.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 PM
pr_capone
Tourer

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

Look on the left side of the bikewhen sitting on it and you will see a big round cover held on with many screws. That is the Primary cover. It is saying you have to take that off to pour in primary/transmission fluid after draining it. You could also take off the kind of rectangular/oval cover held on with 2 screws that is right above it and add it through there with a long slim funnel.
Cool.... that is what I needed to know. I took the small oval one off and replaced all the rubber pieces in it.... did the same with the primary cover o ring. Just need to pour on in then.

Many thanks PIAB!

Old 04-20-2008, 05:15 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

That round cover ain't really the primary cover. It is the derby cover.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:16 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Primary cover/derby cover. Same thing.
As long as he gets the idea.

Quick Reply: A little help please.... where in the hell do I pour the transmission fluid?