Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF classes coming up

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:48 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: MSF classes coming up

Enjoy the class & good luck.

Just remember that upon graduation, you will be fully qualifity to ride safely in an empty parking lot.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

charley has a good point - - playing in traffic is a totally different story but they cover the basics of that, too in the course. Pay good attention to the classroom portion and ask questions. And pay closer attention when you finally get out in the traffic.....

Good luck and great move in taking the course - they are usually well planned out.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:03 PM
jblank37
Road Captain

What HRLY07 said. Only we used the Buell's. It was a very enjoyable 4 days. 2 evenings in the class room and 2 full days of riding. You will do great.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:06 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd think them little Blasts would be like ridin pocket bikes[8D]. I'm not sayin I'd act like an *** on em or anything, but I think it'd be fun zippin around on those things all day.

I might have to take this course soon, sounds like everyone had fun with it.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:24 PM
peggy
Advanced

like it has been said ,pay attention and ask lots of questions. and don't dwell on screwups. i did and i almost didn't pass cause i was so upset with myself over something 'i knew better to do ' but give yourself credit for the good things,like taking the class. a great way to start and have fun. no way did i think at my age '48' i would learn how to ride and sometimes i still can't believe it , then i start her up and take off and wheeeeee,i did it ,have fun and be safe,and look where you want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:52 AM
towboattrash34
Banned

wear the most sexy/skimpiest out fit you can find and watch everyone else wreck.....lol... j/k... take your time and enjoy

Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 AM
yankee transplant
Advanced

The wife and I took the class a couple of months ago 12 people started the class 10 passed it proved it is not a pay and pass kind of course.and i can tell when they say get plenty of rest they are not lying we were about wore out by the end of the 3rd day.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

What kind of bikes do they use? A friend of mine said they use Buell Blasts for some of em...that could be pretty fun!
We took ours on suzuki and honda 250s.

ORIGINAL: yankee transplant

The wife and I took the class a couple of months ago 12 people started the class 10 passed it proved it is not a pay and pass kind of course.and i can tell when they say get plenty of rest they are not lying we were about wore out by the end of the 3rd day.
We had, out of 12, 3 that didn't pass.It really isn't a pay and pass course.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck!!

1) don't expect to be a pro right after the class. it's gonna take some time and practice. practice practice practice!!

2)The bike will go where you are looking. ALWAYS. so, if you feel you're getting too close to the curb, stop looking at the curb!!

best of luck!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 AM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jwb47

after riding for over 30 years I took the class with my wife and all I can say is it is a start . the best advise I can give is you will have some very basic skills but by no means will you be a motorcycle rider.I know it probably wont be the most popular advise gave but wear your safety gear( yes that means a helmet , some type of protective jacket , leather or textile it dont matter , gloves and some sturdy boots). take your time rome wasnt built in a day , forget about group riding for now and consentrate on expanding the skills you learn in the msf. and most of all there is no shame in just pulling off the road and stopping to think about something that makes you nervous or wary. better to arrive late than to not arrive at all.
pay attentionin class and on the range, good luck and safe riding.
Very good advice. I took the course last June, and have put almost 10K on the bike since then and there are things I STILL make me a bit nervous or wary, and things I have to "think" about. It will all come in time, and with practice.

I think you're right about "Group Riding" I think that actually did me more harm than good. The pressure to keep up (at least with the group I rode with) can make you do stupid things, that can get you hurt or worse.

Another thing that I've found very helpful is to get a copy of the Ride Like a Pro DVD. Lots of helpful information.

Quick Reply: MSF classes coming up