Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DROPPED IT!!! So mad at myself!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
jmpodgorny
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DROPPED IT!!! So mad at myself!

So, it started out great! left on a ride with my boyfriend (he just got his motor made stronger faster, you know, unga bunga!) So, we headed out on the freeway. It was great (only my second time) felt wonderful and nice to ride with some else! Rode around all evening feeling really in control of my bike (only 200 miles under my belt) then we went to visit a friend,a fellow rider. It was funny because as we arrived I hesitated about parking it in the driveway, cuz it was a new street for me. but did it anyway. Hung out for minute then as we were headed out i backed out of the driveway CONFIDENTLY as I left the curb, I went down! It happened so fast. I think I turned my bars during the back up, thats the only thing I can think happened! Took a good peice of meat out of me knee, didn't even hurt tho. Of course the two guys ran over and picked up my bike for me. Such gentlemen! But I wish they'd had let me try. I need to know I can pick it up on my own! hurt my pride more than anything especially after such a great night of riding. I didn't let it shake me tho, rode home as confidently as I did before the drop. All I have to say is, "Thanks babe for the valentines gift of the engine gaurd bars! Didn't scratch much but the corner of my mirror and engine gaurd! How can I smooth out the Crome? Feeling like such a "girl"....

Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
dmoon64
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DROPPED IT!!! So mad at myself!

Everybody eventually drops their bike. Just wait till you pull up to the office on your brand new bike and forget to put the kickstand down. I told everyone the bike was tired and needed a nice lie down.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
jmpodgorny
Novice

That's funny! Isn't just when someone's lookin that we do stupid stuff like that? I'm sure I embarrassed the hell out of my boyfriend infront of his biker buddy! Alone I'm a pro!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume you are female? I just told my daughters boyfriend everyone drops it and wrecks at least once. try some stuff called "semi-chrome" to clean it up.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:45 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

not much you can do to smooth out chrome, you can buff on it to make the scratches less obvious, have it re chromed, or the cheapest way is going to be to powder coat it to match your paint... that sucks but i know what you are talking about.... when i went from rockets to a bagger my uncle insisted on me taking out his bagger (i was 16) i todl him i could not handle it... backed downt he drive, cut the bars, BOOM down i went... sucks

Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

Atlest you got your drop out of the way. Most if not everyone will drop it atlest once. Now you will remember it and hopefully it wont happen agian. Always watch out for gravel and remember to put you side stand down and you will be fine. I think it's good to get the drop out of the way when you are learning, suck when it happens and you have been riding for years. I droped mine on my first ride, no one was aroud to see it so I was lucky no on saw it.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

I believe the saying is, "There are those who've dropped it, and those who will." I don't know that Simichrome polish will take care of chrome scratches, but it's great on aluminum.
Congrats, your bike is broken in now

Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 PM
plysat
Tourer

Heh, don't feel bad, everyone's done it, or will... 3 weeks after I picked up my brand new '03 883, I confidently pulled into my work parking lot, slowed down while turning into a space, was leaning a bit and grabbed the front brake w/front wheel turned, and sloowwly tipped over. Didn't land hard, just a couple tiny scratches but I somehow popped out the oil filler cap on the way down and poured about 2-3 quarts of oil onto my pants, boot, bike, and the ground. So uh... I know the feeling! Live and learn right? I mean, how else ya gonna know what not to do. . .

Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It happens to all of us. Usually in front of a crowd of people.......[8D]

Old 04-18-2008, 04:05 PM
kneichko
Cruiser

My 07 1200 custom is my second bike. droped my first bike, twice. Is it safe to say im clear now? 2nd bike was a yamaha sport bike for those who are wondering.

Quick Reply: DROPPED IT!!! So mad at myself!