Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longish ride on the Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 PM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longish ride on the Nightster

Today was the first day I had a chance to ride the Nightster all day, semi "non stop."

A lot of folks say "It is not for touring." Certainly, it is not a platform for touring like many other models, due primarily to its stripped down mojo. And there is the short suspension travel and harsh feel. But.....

Today I took off at 11 am and got home at about 5 pm. I rode continuously, stopping only for water, a snack and for fuel at about 90 mile intervals. I guess I did stop for a minute, twice, to clean bugs off my shield.

It seems you might get 120 miles per tank, but I was riding in remote areas and didn't want to chance running out of fuel, since I was alone. The one time I checked accurately, I got 50 mpg and I was running between 4th and 5th gear, probably in 5th about 75% of the time. I was running at between 65 and 75 mph most of the time. Backroads, two lanes, sweepers and straights. The road surface was typical of post winter, Upstate NY road surfaces. Mostly in semi decent shape, but not slab smooth, that is for sure.

For reference, I am 5'7" and weigh 145 lbs. I was carrying no gear other than what fit in my pockets. The seat is stock.

Yes, the ride is primal and primitive. BUT....

I found that I had no discomfort whatsoever. I have no highway pegs, and only in the last hour did I feel like I wanted to stretch my legs out to let my knees stretch. The ergos were fine. The slight forward reach to the bars was just right to lean ever so slightly into the wind. I had no buttocks pain on the stock seat. The vibration in the pegs and handgrips was actually helpful, like a bit of massage to keep blood flow to my feet and hands.

I found the Nightster to actually be MORE comfortable to ride for longer stretches and a semi-full day in the saddle than my previously owned Softail Deluxe. The Deluxe was a softer ride, but the foot forward position on that bike was definately more fatiguing for me than the Nightster "standard" position. SO, I can ride the Nightster all day more easily, it seems.

So, for those wondering if the Nighster or any Sportster with mid controls is a bike that is ammenable to all day/long rides, I hope this information is helpful. This is clearly a personal issue, but clearly, there is more to it than the general hearsay that Sportsters are "short ride only" bikes, at least as I see it.

For reference, my other bike that I tour with ( week long, ten hour days each day in the saddle tours), is a BMW R1200GS. I still plan to tour with that bike, which is more easily set up for lots of luggage and has a long suspension travel, and very upright riding.

I hope that info. is helpful for those my size who wonder if you "can" ride a Nightster for long distances. The GS can go 200 miles before needing fuel. I think you need to get fuel for the Nightster by 100 miles if you want to be sure not to run out. Unless you don't need to pee anyway, I am usually ready to stop for a few minutes every 100 miles or so, anyway.

Ride on, Nighster owners!

Bones

Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 PM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser
Default RE: Longish ride on the Nightster

The other bike, for reference.

Bones

Old 04-18-2008, 03:23 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you even see over that tank bag?[sm=joke.gif] Seriously, you know how to tour...how long was this "longish" ride? Before I clicked on the thread for details, I'm thinkin' maybe 75 to 100 miles. But NOOOOOOOO.....you went much further than that! Cool! I'm thinking you put over 250 miles? More than that? Way to go![8D] That's an excellent ride report, too. Just goes to show that the bike is more than capable. The limiting factor is the rider. Thanks for posting.

Teek

Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that report. I am planning my first LONG trip ever - from Massachusetts to Myrtle Beach, in May. We need to do 400 miles plus on each of the 2 days down there (we'll take 3 to come home to "enjoy" the ride). I THINK the most I've done on the Nighster so far is close to a couple hundred in one day, and that was relatively local riding with a few stops. I get so tired of hearing the Nighster is only for bar hopping and am HOPING I can come back and emphatically say those comments are NOT true. Yes, I suppose it's a personal thing. But I am glad to hear of your experience. Thanks!!! [/align][/align]Oh - and for the record - I put the stock bars back on (with a riser for an extra 1-1/2" height), replacing the buckhorns seen in my sig pic - and I have a detachable windshield. Might invest in a gel pad, and still debating on a detachable luggage rack. We're traveling light and hubby says he can handle an extra bag.[/align]

Old 04-18-2008, 09:01 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Comfort (especially as far as legroom) depends a lot on the individual riding the bike.

At 5'7" you are (and don't take it the wrong way), a pretty small person, and I'm sure the bike with mid-controls worked out just fine.

But on the other hand someone my size (6'2", 34" inseam) would feel pretty cramped on the same bike.

BTW, that's a great looking bike, so enjoy and be safe out there on the mean streets....

Old 04-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer

Yeah, Im 6-2 34" inseam as well and feel like my knees are in my throat with mid controls. I use my highway bar a LOT. Where abouts in upstate NY are you?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
brainfrz
Cruiser

Great report- I was thinking the same when I took mine out a couple weekends ago. I was capable of putting on about 300 miles before saddle soar really started to effect me.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:03 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you like it

Old 04-18-2008, 06:48 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine has mid controls and like you, after a long time in the saddle I feel the need to stretch. My next mod is going to be adjustable highway pegs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/F773387FD3134D02B2E439F64025216C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Teek

Can you even see over that tank bag?[sm=joke.gif] Seriously, you know how to tour...how long was this "longish" ride? Before I clicked on the thread for details, I'm thinkin' maybe 75 to 100 miles. But NOOOOOOOO.....you went much further than that! Cool! I'm thinking you put over 250 miles? More than that? Way to go![8D] That's an excellent ride report, too. Just goes to show that the bike is more than capable. The limiting factor is the rider. Thanks for posting.

Teek
HAHAHAHA!!!

Quick Reply: Longish ride on the Nightster