Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longish ride on the Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
rat4spd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Longish ride on the Nightster

My co-worker just loves his GS. He converted from an LT. He actually thinks my Sportster is pretty cool.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:05 PM
bhtx
Tourer

nice looking Thunderheader you got there......I have one as well on my 07.....

Are those heat sheilds? I have mine wrapped down to the 1 but was wondering if they are coming with sheilds now.

We did a ride last year (Dallas, Teek, and others) that went over 350 by the timeI got back to the house. No problems for me then and I had the stock seat on.

I was thinking about trying the iron but to Sturgis this year....could be the first Nightster!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An Iron Butt would be great, Brian! But if you want an official recording of an Iron Butt Association run, there's a couple of rules.

You need a start witness and ending witness who is also willing to answer a mail-in questionaire. The witness can be anybody, but NOT one riding with you! You need to prove your start time (computer-generated gas receipt), and finish time (also can be a computer generated gas receipt), and you must keep a log of your trip, and stops. All gas stop receipts help, but the most important is the start and finish ones, with time stamp, address, city and state of the station. The route and the distance must be verified by the popular mapping sites...MapQuest, Google Maps, Virtual Earth, etc.

If ya just want to say, "screw all that", and just ride to Sturgis in under 24 hours, you can do that to, and you'll have the utmost respect of almost everyone on this forum. I've checked into the IBA, and I've been tempted, but I think I'll get a few more longer runs under my belt before attempting an "official" Iron Butt run. 1,000 miles in 24 hours! On a Nightster! Go for it! Official or not, you've got my support!

Teek

Old 04-19-2008, 04:54 AM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get an easy 120 miles out of a tank. Last fall on a long ride with our hog chapter, my wife didnt think she needed gas since our next scheduled stop was in 45 miles, well that was wrong, more like 85. Anywayshe went 151 miles on one tank. As we were gettng closer to a town, I kept thinking, she's not gonna make it, but she did. It took 3.2 gallons.

Also on the Iron Butt. Last year when I did it, I girl on a 883L made it.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:48 AM
Werbeck
Tourer

I found that having the highway pegs makes the long rides a lot more comfortable on the Nightster, especially with ape hangers, you can really lean back and shift your weight around.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:56 AM
scott63
Cruiser

Thanks for the report BBDeluxe.
I think these are yours also. great reading

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238977
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246831
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254121

Old 04-19-2008, 09:17 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I found the mid controls on the one I test rode to be very comfortable. The riding position is about as neutral as you can get on a Harley. If I get one, I will add the adjustable highway pegs and probably some 12" apes. I have never had problems being comfortable on Harley seats other than my Deluxe. My Deluxe seat had me too far forward and had too much padding. I had it reshaped to move me down and back and it's totally comfortable now. I actually like minimal seats. I had a Lepera Bare Bones on my Nighttrain and found it to be very comfortable once it was broke in.

I think the main thing for comfort when touring at highway speeds is a windshield. It doesn't have to be huge but should keep the wind off the chest and provide clean air for the head. This reduces fatigue a great deal. It also can help when a semi sheds a tire....

Old 04-19-2008, 09:52 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: BBDeluxe

Today was the first day I had a chance to ride the Nightster all day, semi "non stop."

A lot of folks say "It is not for touring." Certainly, it is not a platform for touring like many other models, due primarily to its stripped down mojo. And there is the short suspension travel and harsh feel. But.....

Yes, the ride is primal and primitive. BUT....

I found that I had no discomfort whatsoever. I have no highway pegs, and only in the last hour did I feel like I wanted to stretch my legs out to let my knees stretch. The ergos were fine. The slight forward reach to the bars was just right to lean ever so slightly into the wind. I had no buttocks pain on the stock seat. The vibration in the pegs and handgrips was actually helpful, like a bit of massage to keep blood flow to my feet and hands.

SO, I can ride the Nightster all day more easily, it seems.
So, for those wondering if the Nighster or any Sportster with mid controls is a bike that is ammenable to all day/long rides, I hope this information is helpful. This is clearly a personal issue, but clearly, there is more to it than the general hearsay that Sportsters are "short ride only" bikes, at least as I see it.

Ride on, Nighster owners!
True, true, true...!

Old 12-14-2008, 12:01 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW earlier this year I put 1700 miles on my Nightster in one weekend, riding from Redmond, WA to Fallon, NV and back.

This bike is equipped with highway pegs, the Solo Tour-Pak luggage, and "nostalgic" grips, but otherwise is stock.

The biggest problem was the uncomfortable seat, followed by too-frequent fillups due to a combination of mediocre fuel economy and the 3.3-gallon tank.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:41 AM
tennmoto
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking Roadster

I don't have a Nightster but I do love them too. My 04 Roadster and I can ride on for miles too, and no problems,stock seat and I,m 6'2 and 190lbs.
Nice to here ride reports. I am going to create my own today in the Knoxville area, but not to the Dragon, there are too many other routes to enjoy.
I had previously explored the NJ tri-state area, now I'm here in East Tn, probably the best riding in the country. Should keep me exploring for years!

steve

Quick Reply: Longish ride on the Nightster