Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to wash or not to wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: to wash or not to wash

I use Dawn.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
minibadA$$
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can just wash it and get a good dry on it. i clean my bike in the morining or evening so that the heat does not leave water makes. i also use a cycle dryer. it gets the water out of every where.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Goofy crap. Wash the bike use dish soap. Obviously rinse it first to get stuff off that can scratch it. Use a cotton cloth or sponge (providing it's never hit the ground or been used for anything else). Do one area at a time and rinse and when you think youve rinsed enough do it again (for pointers ask your bride what she does with cream rinse). Finally get your leaf blower (or your neighbors) and blast the damn water off it. DONE. Bike dryer Geeeeeeeeeeez.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I wet mine down then spray S100total cycle cleaner on the engine and wheels then rinse it off. I then wash the bike with Meguires car wash soap then rinse it off then dry it with an Absorber towel (I would use a leaf blower if I had one). I then spray Pig Spit on the engine and apply it to black parts of the bike. I clean the aluminum on the triple trees with Mothers aluminum polish then I wax the chrome and aluminum with S100 wax.
After all this is done then Iride it like a bastard out of Hades.
All this (except the riding part) takes about an hour or less, just depends on how quickly I feel like moving.
I keep the bike looking good by wiping it off periodically with Meguires detail spray and micro fiber cloths. I may wash it once every month or 2 or after riding in the rain when it gets really filthy.

The End

Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: schumacher

I use Dawn.
hahaha.......dish soap will not hurt paint no matter how much the stealer says it will!!! I however don't use it I use strictly eagle one car products on my car and I use harley sun wash on my bike. The sun wash is a little pricy for how much you get but it does not leave water spots when washing in the sunlight which I find handy.

And I've said it before but I'll say it again .......... Use a leaf blower to dry your bike!!!! It works the ***** and really cleans out the hard to get places. Do not use gas powered ones or compressor air cause there will always be gas and oil blowing all over your paint even if you can't see it.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bradley Jones

And I've said it before but I'll say it again .......... Use a leaf blower to dry your bike!!!! It works the *****...
Umm that sounds nice and all but I just want to get the bike dry. IfI wanted it to "work my *****" I'd take it inside and switch it to suck instead of blow. Just saying...

[8D]

Old 04-18-2008, 12:07 AM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Bradley Jones

ORIGINAL: schumacher

I use Dawn.
hahaha.......dish soap will not hurt paint no matter how much the stealer says it will!!! I however don't use it I use strictly eagle one car products on my car and I use harley sun wash on my bike. The sun wash is a little pricy for how much you get but it does not leave water spots when washing in the sunlight which I find handy.

And I've said it before but I'll say it again .......... Use a leaf blower to dry your bike!!!! It works the ***** and really cleans out the hard to get places. Do not use gas powered ones or compressor air cause there will always be gas and oil blowing all over your paint even if you can't see it.

DITTO!

The Harley Sun wash is great. I use it on all my bikes, even the non Harleys. It is great if you live in an area that has hard water. It is about $7 a bottle.....who cares? Water won't hurt your bike at all, if you rinse well and dry the bike off. The blow drier in nice if you have one...I don't...yet.

The Harley polish/wax is also great stuff.

Don't worry about it.

Bones

Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 AM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dish soap is much harsher than a good car wash soap. Dish soap disolves oils, etc. Great to use if you want to strip ypur bike down before a good detailing. But if you just spent the weekend before waxing and polishing your bike, then washing it with dish soap is going to strip off all your hard work

Old 04-18-2008, 01:32 AM
joel85
Road Captain

I have some rust on little bolts and clips on my 07' but I figure I bought it to ride not be a trophey. I'm fine with a little rust here and there as long as it isn;t on main parts. If it bothers you that's why they make chrome everything and new parts

Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. When I wash it, I just take it to the self-service car wash and use the low setting to soap it down, then the "spot free" rinse. Dry off the pipes, chrome and parts that get hot, as well as the seat and mirrors, and air dry it at 60-70 mph on the highway! Doesn't take long at all.

Teek

Quick Reply: to wash or not to wash