Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Rode a Nightster - Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts
Default Test Rode a Nightster - Feedback?

Went to my favorite dealer yesterday and got to take a 08 Nightster out on a ride. This particular one was orange/black and while it looked pretty cool, I would probably opt for sliver/black denim. Anyway, the bike was an absolute blast to ride. I had it out for about 20 minutes and was really enjoyed it. If I had to describe it in one word it would be...raw. The bike just felt pure. It was surprisingly quick too. I guess I am just used to Softails whick are porky by comparison. I also noticed how nimble the bike felt. I suppose the rake is steeper than the 32 deg on the Softails. The bike has a lot of character too. Even though it is rubber mounted you still felt the engine. There was no doubt you were on a v-twin.

Things I would probably change....

Obviously, the stock pipes are pathetic. So, an air cleaner, pipes, race tuner would be first. I would retain the mid controls but add some type of forward foot pegs for stretching out a little. I also wouldn't mind a little more suspension. Not sure if the stock shocks are adjustable so I need to check this out first. The bike would look great with a set of 12" black apes. I would probably add a tach too.

A couple of questions:

Anyone know what size the rear shocks are? How do they compare with the shock length on the Custom? Has anyone changed the fork springs?

I still haven't decided if I am going to get one yet. My short list:

Nightster
2006 1200R
2003 1200C

I need to ride the 03 before making a decision. Can anyone here comment on how they might compare and what I should look for? I know the 03 is hard mounted but it is also about 60 lbs. lighter.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 AM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Test Rode a Nightster - Feedback?

Get the Nightster as there is NO comparison.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:07 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Nightster BLACK

+1

My dad has a 2007 1200L--looked at the 1200R and 1200C too--he's jealous now of my Nightster.

"If I had to describe it in one word it would be...raw."--you gotit, and quick too[8D]. Regarding the drawbacks you stated, yep, added new pipes and seat, with SE AC andSERT going on in 50 miles--I'll call itgood. And I'm with you on the mids--like them, but may put something on my crashbars for a hwy stretch.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: LdyMjo

+1

My dad has a 2007 1200L--looked at the 1200R and 1200C too--he's jealous now of my Nightster.

"If I had to describe it in one word it would be...raw."--you gotit, and quick too[8D]. Regarding the drawbacks you stated, yep, added new pipes and seat, with SE AC andSERT going on in 50 miles--I'll call itgood. And I'm with you on the mids--like them, but may put something on my crashbars for a hwy stretch.

Good luck!

Crashbars!!!???!!! On a Nightster!!!??? Arrgghhhh!!!!!

I put the HD forward highway setup on, and kept the mids. Works OK, especially as the bike is actually THE MAMA's, though I ride it more often.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Nightster is a neat bike. To me there is only one problem with it. It is too single purpose. What I mean by that is that it is definetly a "bad boy" type of bike and to add any accessories to broaden its range would be a shame. I need a bike that I cancarry stuff in like tire plug kit, compressor, registration, etc.(saddle bags). Also I need to load up and take off one 3 - 5 day overnighters (saddle bags and windshield). As cool as the Nightster is that in itself narrows the bikes purpose down to little more than a bar hopper. I know there is always the acception and a few people on this forum have bags, etc on the Nightster but I think that's trying to make a cool bike into something it's not. I have the 1200 C.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: LdyMjo

+1

Good luck!

Crashbars!!!???!!! On a Nightster!!!??? Arrgghhhh!!!!!

I put the HD forward highway setup on, and kept the mids. Works OK, especially as the bike is actually THE MAMA's, though I ride it more often.
Pardon you, but my black engine guard is sleek, smooth, and veryyy sexy[sm=smarty.gif]! And if it saves my custom paint one dayI'll give it a big fat kiss[sm=kiss.gif]!

Now, about the HD forward highway set up on your nightster--pics possibly, oh opinioned one?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Malloy
Advanced

They are 11" shocks and they really suck. Adjustable, but they still suck. The fronts are even worse, standard 883 components. 2 guys on XLforum are suspension experts and have many suggestions based on rider weight. I'm 190lbs and I always bottom the fronts out. (I do a lot of hard city riding) Hitting bumps/dips etc on I95 can be quite unerving at times... I had a 1200Low and that rode MUCH BETTER than the 1200N. (and people told me the 1200L rode like crap before I bought it)

Me? Im getting Progressives front and back. If I get a 50% improvement over stock Ill be happy...and Im sure the Progressive set will do that for me.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 AM
tweakin
Road Master

I put progressive on the front and rear of my bike. With 11 inch shocks you get very little travel=crappy ride, but I like to feel the rode... The 412 progressives on the rear gave a little improvement. I noticed the biggest change in ride quality when I installed the progressive springs in the front.

When I ride my dads XLC I feel like I am on a couch compared to my nightester, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53286/E75ACDF97B444243A30F126540EF0DBE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Sgt Rock
Advanced

I stiffened up my rear as much as it would go and it helped quite a bit but the progressives would be the way to go

Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

The Nightster is a neat bike. To me there is only one problem with it. It is too single purpose. What I mean by that is that it is definetly a "bad boy" type of bike and to add any accessories to broaden its range would be a shame. I need a bike that I cancarry stuff in like tire plug kit, compressor, registration, etc.(saddle bags). Also I need to load up and take off one 3 - 5 day overnighters (saddle bags and windshield). As cool as the Nightster is that in itself narrows the bikes purpose down to little more than a bar hopper. I know there is always the acception and a few people on this forum have bags, etc on the Nightster but I think that's trying to make a cool bike into something it's not. I have the 1200 C.
I understand your point. I still have my Softail with detachable windshield/bags etc for touring. If I buy a Sporty I will do some shorter weekend solo trips on it. Even with the Nightster, a detachable shield and a detachable sissy bar to hold a t-bag is all I would need. I probably would not put any bags on it. The nice thing about the t-bag and detachable sissy bar is they pop right off after you get camp set up or get to the hotel. I do this same thing with my Softail and even the bags on it. But as I say, I will probably not add any bags. The t-bags hold enough for any of my trips. In fact, I don't even use the top roll...just the main bag.

Having said all of that, I still haven't ruled out the 1200C model. If I go with the 1200C, I will have the same set up for weekend solo trips. A t-bag/sissy bar and a detachable windshield.

Quick Reply: Test Rode a Nightster - Feedback?