Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Rode a Nightster - Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts
Default RE: Test Rode a Nightster - Feedback?

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like the progressive suspension is the preferred way to upgrade the ride. When going with progressive, are you guys/gals sticking with the 11" on the rear or going to something different? What about the front? Do the progressives raise the front any? I wouldn't mind another .5"-1" travel but it might not be necessary with better components. My weight is right around 200 and worst case would be a t-bag and camping gear of another 50. I don't see my wife riding 2-up much on a Sporty since I am keeping my Deluxe.

Oh, I also meant to ask about keeping the bike clean. Any issues on keeping the granite finished engine clean? What are you guys/gals using on the motor to keep in clean? The chrome motors on the 'C' models are fairly straightfoward but I don't have experience with granite or silver finishes on the motors. I had a Nighttrain and I used soap/water and occasionally used S100 engine brightener to keep the black looking new.

Anyone have experience on the 1200R models? Dealer doesn't normally get these so test riding will be difficult. If I go with this model I will definately go used since I prefer the 3.3 gallon tank over the large tank. No offense to those who think otherwise, but to me the big tank doesn't work on a Sporty.

Thanks again.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Goshawk
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the '07 1200R. i am very happy with it. I think it is the model to choose if handling in the corners is important to you.
A couple friends have Nightsters and say they scrape the road because of low ground clearance. If anyone is interested I have a set of shocks
taken off my bike when it was new I would sell for $150.00. The extra 2" should help quite a bit.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:25 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: LdyMjo

Pardon you, but my black engine guard is sleek, smooth, and veryyy sexy[sm=smarty.gif]! And if it saves my custom paint one dayI'll give it a big fat kiss[sm=kiss.gif]!

Now, about the HD forward highway set up on your nightster--pics possibly, oh opinioned one?
Just raggin' on ya a bit. I had "crash bars" on one bike for awhile. My '78 FLH had 'em when I got it from my Dad. When I went down on a dirt road in Wyoming the crash bar pinned my leg against the brake pedal. The brake pedal went into my shin, all the way to the bone, and gouged out about a 4 inch long chunk of skin, meat, and bone sliver. Nothing like laying underneath a loaded barge on a completely deserted road (except for the one idiot who thought he'd take a look at the Powder River country - me), and having to crawl out, pick the bike up, and feeling your boot fill with blood. Never no more crash bars after that.

I'll try to take a pic or two tomorrow of the highway bars and get 'em up here.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 PM
MJStephens
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. The Nightster rides like ****. I live in MI and we have horrible roads. I think I've gotten my front tire airborne about three times this week and I don't even ride that hard. That being said........it's raw, unforgiving and lustworthy. Oh wait.....I'm trying to make it sound good. It's what a bike should feel like. I'm not in to S&M but for some reason I enjoy getting my *** kicked on a bike. Not only does the Nightster LOOK like a throw-back........I'm pretty damn sure it feels like one.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:44 AM
JimBob
Advanced

Last year I put Drag Specialties 12" rear shocks and Progressive front springs on my '07 883L. This year, did the same with wife's '08 Nightster. In both cases, the bikes were transformed from riding like bricks to comparatively plush, functioning suspensions. Easy swapouts. Got good tips on this forum.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Go to www.Harley-davidson.com, and do a compare of the Roadster and the Nightster. I'm sure you'll see some differences.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

LdyMjo: Here's the factory highway pegs. The pegs are just some I had in my stash. The MoCo also makes these bars in black, but the cost is higher. There are 3 adjustment holes in the bracket to allow for different leg lengths. These are set up for the longest reach. I'm going to have to move them for THE MAMA.

[IMG]local://upfiles/670/35EDDF6F5FE5455792E1CC8AAF5A7B34.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/670/CE54057DFF6F4CD783F539F5AFC551C7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/670/C2A2C8BDD4374419A64DBF961FF590B3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/670/540117CD7C30462CA59C9E41D7A10D50.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: LdyMjo

Pardon you, but my black engine guard is sleek, smooth, and veryyy sexy[sm=smarty.gif]! And if it saves my custom paint one dayI'll give it a big fat kiss[sm=kiss.gif]!

Now, about the HD forward highway set up on your nightster--pics possibly, oh opinioned one?
Just raggin' on ya a bit. I had "crash bars" on one bike for awhile. My '78 FLH had 'em when I got it from my Dad. When I went down on a dirt road in Wyoming the crash bar pinned my leg against the brake pedal. The brake pedal went into my shin, all the way to the bone, and gouged out about a 4 inch long chunk of skin, meat, and bone sliver. Nothing like laying underneath a loaded barge on a completely deserted road (except for the one idiot who thought he'd take a look at the Powder River country - me), and having to crawl out, pick the bike up, and feeling your boot fill with blood. Never no more crash bars after that.

I'll try to take a pic or two tomorrow of the highway bars and get 'em up here.
Hi Skip: I can see why you are no longer fond of crashbars...d^mn that must of hurt like heck--sounds like you're lucky the blood loss didn't take you out. I hopeit has healed well. And thanks for the pics of the highway pegs--they look great, though I would do the black. I likemy mids, but on long stretches would like to stretch out some too. This seems like a great solution. Thanks again, and take care of the shin!