Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Jaws87
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Question

Ok so im wanting to put a spring seat on my 07 1200c but there is that stupid harness mounted on the back fender under the seat. Is this gonna stick out or will it be covered up by the seat mount kit that im getting?

-Jesse

Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Seat Question

Its gonna stick out. Here's a shot of what a guy on here did for his nighster when mounting a spring solo. He used and older model spring seat kits and then relocated the ECM under the seat and then made a cover for the hole out of fiberglass, trimmed it and painted it black and its held down with one of the seat bolt tab holes. Lot of work but looked cool.

What seat kit did you order, the one from Licks or other?

I had a spring style seat kit on my 06 for a short while but with a rigid mount and I just did not like how high it sat, and it was a rough ride not to mention too much trouble to switch seats out when needed so I sold it all at a loss. I love the look of them but I think they're better suited/more comfortable on rigid frames where they sit lower and you can use longer springs for comfort.
I just use a Lepera silhouette solo now when I want the slammed solo look but its no long ride seat for sure (100 miles if that).

Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Jaws87
Intermediate

Yea im going with the one from licks but I didnt think about this harness until I took my seat off today. Ive been wanting to get a nightster rear fender for it but I guess it has the whole too. Im not good enough to fab a patch like the other guy did. Know of anyone who sells a cover like that?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Licks was supposedly going to work on some kind of cover for the 07 up modelsbut I don't think anything ever became of it. The Licks is nice kit but short of making a cover no one I've heard of makes a cover. Those ECMs are sure ugly and in my opinon it was poor design on HDs part. Alot of seat makers dont even have regular seats to fit them yet due to the ECM being so big. If its any help, I have seen the Licks kit on 07s and it does fit fine but the ECM is definitely noticeable. If you do find a way to relocate the module then I believe a fender for an 06 will fit and then you can just trim the rear off, repaint and then add the Run/Brake/Turn module to use your signals as an all in one. One thing is for sure that to customize a bike beyond bolt on stuff you have to be handy with tools/fabrication

Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Jaws87
Intermediate

Sounds like a big pain in the *** just to switch outa seat. But the seat thats on mine really doesnt go with the look im after so im gonna have to do something. Whos bike is that pic of, perhaps I can shoot him a pm and work out some kind of deal. I definately am not gonna switch out seats until I can find a solution to this problem. In case I dont come up with a fix for this what is a nice looking sporty seat that I can go with?