Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008 | 01:09 AM
HighDesertKid
|
Road Warrior
Default RE: Rear Ended

I greatly appreciate the kind words from everyone... The day ended ona good note... I just returned from going to a 3 Doors Down concert with my girl... Damn good show... Very patriotic also... good stuff.

Old 04-11-2008 | 02:10 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

I was out riding yesterday in the occasional rain. The roads were wet all day. I was coming to a stop at a light and had my right turn signal on. Just as I put my left foot down the bike decided to lean to the right a little, so I quickly put my right foot down. Something was wrong. I looked over my shoulder to the right, and nothing. I looked over my shoulder to my left and sawtheblue bumber of a carpressed against my saddle bag! Due to circumstances I won't get into, I just figured no harm no foul, and simply continued on my way. No damage whatever.

I had another close call in the parking garage tonight getting off work. A red car ran an intersection where I had the right of way. Fortunately we were both going slow enough to miss each other, though I locked the rear tire. I fault the design of the parking garage more than the driver. But two close calls like that in as many days?

Teek

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:56 AM
agedwards63
Road Master

The first time I ever got rear ended WAS on my old 883C girl didnt see me stopped at the light and knocked me 15 feet into the intersection and the bike ended up on top of me glad I was wearing a helmet. The second time I got rear ended my mother in law was following me out of the storage space where I store my bikes she lost sight of me in the sun... and rear ended my Heritage... WITH MY OWN CAR!!! that was real fun to explain to the insurance company

Old 04-11-2008 | 05:01 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid

On my way to drop off a buddy after playing golf... This broad smashes into the back of my truck while in line at an intersection (red light)... Thank god for steel bumpers... It was a pretty serious impact... But you can hardly tell my truck was hit.. Her Honda Civic on the other hand.... OUCH... The whole front end was caved in... Trailer hitch made an actual hole in her hood.

Everyone was okay (most important thing). The lady said she, "fell asleep." Keep in mind that this happened at 1:15 in the afternoon.

I couldn't help but think what the event would have been like had I been on my bike... I was rear-ended once on my Yamaharley cruiser... Much less severe impact... I can only imagine what this one would have been like... The thought of it kind of pissed me off... It was an accident... And accidents do happen... But if she was really THAT tired.... Maybe take a nap before driving?

Hey Kid, Glad your OK! even happier you weren't on your bike!

Old 04-11-2008 | 06:08 AM
wojeepster
Advanced

many people know that in half the fatalities alcohol is involved, many do not know that in a third of the fatalities the driver fell asleep. I was driving back from college and at 3am I fell asleep (this was 30 years ago). Fortunately for me where I went off the road there was nothing to run into, the side of the road was rough and bumped and shookme awake. I had no problem staying awake after that.... If I get sleepy now I stop. Most folks want to die in their sleep (but not while driving!). I even saw a guy driving the interstate and reading a book! I figured that problem took care of itself a few miles down the road. If you drive like the other drivers are blind, drunk, or asleep you won't be far wrong. Glad to hear you are alright.

Old 04-11-2008 | 06:17 AM
Bryan53
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ss377

There might be several reasons she fell asleep at 1:15 in the afternoon. She could have been up all night and morning with one or both of her ill parents, kid, friend, or pull a double shift at work because her replacement had a hangover and could not show up for work. You never know. Any way, glad no one was hurt.
All this doesn't make it okay to be driving. If you can't stay awake stay home. Good thing she had some vehicle in front of her and she didn't hit a pedestrian.

In NJ you can be issued a ticket if you have not had the proper amount of sleep.

Old 04-11-2008 | 07:37 AM
hawaiibound
Tourer

Phew... I'm glad you weren't on your Nightster andyou're okay.

Oh yeah, thanks for selling that red Fat Bob to someone else. It wasWAY to tempting.

Old 04-11-2008 | 07:40 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a hitch that sticks out a little further and is massive. I always leave it in on my truck. I hope I do real damage if someone hits it.

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:21 AM
HighDesertKid
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

OH...Thank God. I saw the thread title, and was afraid you were in your Nighty and got rear ended.....LOL
LOL... That's funny chit mang

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:45 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

Glad you're okay Kid, and as others said, not on your Nighty! Sleep issues and folks simply not paying attention--true demons of the road. A friend told me to be sure and have a break light on when stopped. I hadn't been doing that, do now--may squeeze on and off if I see drivers whipping in behind me too. Also, I had been just downshifting before slowing--make sure now to breaktohave those brake lights seen.Have my brights onall the time now too. Yep, when I saw the 'rear ended' header, thought you were on your bike--very glad you weren't. Take care!

Quick Reply: Rear Ended