Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:42 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Rear Ended

Maybe a whiskey bottle rolled under her brake pedal so she could not press it....

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:08 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Glad your ok and were not on your bike. I think about that at almost every light I stop at. Nothing like stopping and hearing that erie sound of tires locking up behind you.

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:25 PM
ss377
Road Captain

There might be several reasons she fell asleep at 1:15 in the afternoon. She could have been up all night and morning with one or both of her ill parents, kid, friend, or pull a double shift at work because her replacement had a hangover and could not show up for work. You never know. Any way, glad no one was hurt.

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:47 PM
jblank37
Road Captain

David, happy to know that you wasn't on the bike. Nice to know that you are OK.

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:52 PM
Wolf4dk
Cruiser

Glad to hear that you are ok. I work for the department of transportation and believe me, I see some weird sh!tout there. I have seen my fare share of fatalities and some really nasty rollovers. I have only seen onebad cycle accident, but the guy was going to be ok.I guess since I play in traffic for a job, I kinda have a little different respect for traffic. People are f'n stupid, chatting on the phone, playing with their Ipod, that kinda crap.I guess wecan just call this a reminder that people don't pay attn no matter how big, or small, you are. Ride safe...

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:57 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

Glad everyone is ok.

I was rear ended last May by a lady in a Volvo. I have no idea what she was doing, but I was stopped at a red light and she hit me going 20 to 25 mph. Thankfully I was in the car. The Outback had the least amount of damage.

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:12 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Glad you're okay! Unfortunately, this problem is not all that uncommon. Sleep Apnea can cause many drivers to fall asleep at the wheel. I have this medical condition myself. Fortunately, I don't fall asleep at the wheel. But I do fall asleep if I try to read a book. It doesn't matter what time of day it is. It's because you're constantly waking yourself up at night to breath. When I had my test done, I stopped breathing 61 times an hour. So it's no wonder I always felt run down. Most people don't even know they suffer from this problem. Luckily, she didn't hit you on the bike. People need to be made more aware of this condition so they can get treatment and prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Sorry, didn't mean to make a "public service announcement". And I'm certainly not trying to make light of the situation or make possible excuses.

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:15 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer

Glad you're ok.
I got rear ended on my way home from work last Sunday on my way home from work.
I was stopped at a light and the car behind me was stopped also. The third car
didn't even slow down and I saw him coming. He hit the car in front of me and they smacked me.
A few scratches on my bumper is all. But got a quote for $400. Waiting for the check and will just take some
Scratch X and take it out myself. Gotta love the Caddies, I hit a deer two years ago at about 50 mph and didn't even leave a mark.
I almost rode the new bike to work that morning and glad I didn't. It was only 27 degrees so I wussed out.
This is one reason I almost always stay in gear at a light, and hope I don't panic and can get out of the way if this happens on the scoot.

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:23 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

HDK.....my heart sunk when I read the title...thoughtyou were on the bike. Glad you're ok. I'm leaving the trailer hitch on my Blazer....if someone wants to rear-end me, they'll get a hole in the radiator!!!

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:43 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

Sucks that this happened and glad everyone is ok. Maybe she has an actual sleep disorder like Sleep Apnea or some other known and very common sleepissue. Hope she see's a Dr about this because Sleep Apnea is a common illness where people fall asleep while driving...In the middle of the day. Most people who have an apnea, don't even know they have it. It can be serious in some people and can cause a shortened life span and other problems with the internal organs, brain fucntion,etc....Just something that makes you think. In anycase, still sucks you were the victim.....

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid

On my way to drop off a buddy after playing golf... This broad smashes into the back of my truck while in line at an intersection (red light)... Thank god for steel bumpers... It was a pretty serious impact... But you can hardly tell my truck was hit.. Her Honda Civic on the other hand.... OUCH... The whole front end was caved in... Trailer hitch made an actual hole in her hood.

Everyone was okay (most important thing). The lady said she, "fell asleep." Keep in mind that this happened at 1:15 in the afternoon.

I couldn't help but think what the event would have been like had I been on my bike... I was rear-ended once on my Yamaharley cruiser... Much less severe impact... I can only imagine what this one would have been like... The thought of it kind of pissed me off... It was an accident... And accidents do happen... But if she was really THAT tired.... Maybe take a nap before driving?

Quick Reply: Rear Ended