Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you handle cagers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you handle cagers?

ORIGINAL: lonewatie

My safety and life depend on ME being aware and defensive. Getting into a road rage state never helps.

Have to agree with that statement, although at time a bit difficult to follow. After all is said and done, and the swearing, and finger pointing, and pride is defended, yadayadayada you have to be able to make it home for another day.
Yep. Like you say, it can be pretty damn difficult at times, but I figure that at some point down the road, these morons will pay dearly for their stupidity. And your right, I Am going home at the end of the day.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/2886C23433AF493ABF01DBFB2B676385.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I try to stay in front of them.I have no problems with idiots as long as they are behind me

Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to say it, but sometimes it's best to back down and put a couple cars between you and the a$$hat. It's an argument you ain't gonna win...

Having said that, though, I've been known to throw water bottles over my shoulder at tail gaters... I know I shouldn't, but I'm immature at times.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The two closest calls I've had in a long time happened just within this past month. Both times I was in my car. Only the good defensive habits I've developed being a bike rider saved me in both cases. The few times I've had a fairly close one on my bike I usually will smile and give them a friendly wave. If you do this they can do nothing else but slither down in their seat with embarrasement. If you "get into a rage", so will they and nothing will be accomplished.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

You know I agree...bike versus cage, cage will win. But $#@!, One thing I can't stand is a tailgater. I don't mean just close enough to let you know they want by, but the right on you @@s tailgater. If I am in my truck, they are going to get a couple of brake tap warnings and if that don't work then it is lock em up time. If I am on my bike I just get furious and pull over as soon as I can and let em go. I will be pissed for about an hour, but what can you do.I have also jumped on it and left them half a mile behind me, but on some roads that is not an option. You guys that can keep your cool and let it go, more power to ya.I am really a very easy to get along with kind of guy, but some things just rub me wrong.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's pretty hard to put a couple of cars between you and them when they are trying to pass youon the right in the bike lane.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 PM
ss377
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Booey420

I try to stay in front of them.I have no problems with idiots as long as they are behind me
-1 I would rather have them in front of me. I can slow down or turn off and end anything that could turn into road rage. Also, it's not just cagers, other motorcycle (insert any brand you want here) rider can be just as inattentive, rude, or whatever. Sometimes I fall into that category. What is it, 10% of riders give a bad name for everyone? I think every biker at one time or another has been someone's 10%. Sometimes, though, you it is very hard if not impossible to avoid it.

Something that will set me off today will not bother me tomorrow,go figure.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just shoot their tires out and drive over them, but only if they're in a volkswagon but since they're easier to hop over. j/k

I normally drive defensively and always expect the cagers to do the stupidest thing imaginable so I'm not suprised, that way I'm always ready to react.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 PM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TestFlyer

I should rephrase it to: How do you folks handle dangerous, dumb, inattentive, and malicious cagers?
Have the law take care of them.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

I try to ride as defensively as possible. I have found that if someone insists on tail gaiting and they dont get it when I "wave" them back, I'll pull over and let them have the road. I do not want to get into an argument with a car or truck.

The ones though that really get to me are the drivers who INSIST on stopping so close to you that you can feel the breeze from their radiator fan when it bounces off the engine. When that happens, I look back at the front of the vehicle, shake my head and inch forward. It usually only takes once or twice and they seem to get it.

Quick Reply: How do you handle cagers?