Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

signal colors

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: signal colors

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Not true....states must enact lawsthat meet, and then enforce federal requlations as a minimum....they are given time to examinethose minimum federal standards and schedule new legislation for passage.....In that process, they can decide if they need to enhance the federal minimum standards.
Interesting since WI has no state laws regarding motorcycle exhaust. Yet there is a Federal law that does get enforced in some areas around the Milwaukee and outlying areas (mainly for an excuse to pull you over IMO). However I'm not ignorant enough to think state law supercedes federal law. I do keep my pipes to a dull roar when around LEO's as well as having mirrors and functioning turn signals that are the correct color as mandated by federal law.
Maybe we are just that far behind in WI?

Safety Helmet
Required by law under age 18, required for instructional permit holders

State Funded Rider Ed
Available for all eligible applicants-required under age 18

Eye Protection
Required by law for instructional permit holders unless equipped with windscreen which is 15" or higher above handlebars

Daytime Use of Headlight
Required by law-modulating headlight permitted

Passenger Seat
Required if carrying a passenger

Passenger Footrest
Required if carrying a passenger

Passenger Age Restriction
None

Helmet Speakers
No Restrictions

Periodic Safety Inspection
Required by law-random

Mirror Left(L) Right(R)
One required by law

Radar Detector
No Restriction

Turn Signals
Required by law

Muffler
No acoustical criteria.

Maximum Sound Level
No acoustical criteria.

State Insurance Requirements
Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(25/50/10) - Financial responsibility required.

Handlebar Height
Maximum of 30" above seat

Rider-Education Waiver
Skill Test

Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States
Yes

Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane
Yes. 346.595(1) (1) All motor vehicles including motorcycles and mopeds are entitled to the full use of a traffic lane and no vehicle may be driven or operated in such a manner so as to deprive any other vehicle of the full use of a traffic lane. With the consent of both drivers, Type 1 motorcycles may be operated not more than 2 abreast in a single lane, but mopeds may be so operated only where the speed limit is 25 miles per hour or less.

Lane Splitting
Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Not true....states must enact lawsthat meet, and then enforce federal requlations as a minimum....they are given time to examinethose minimum federal standards and schedule new legislation for passage.....In that process, they can decide if they need to enhance the federal minimum standards.
Generally speaking, that is true but is not applicable in this case.

Since the Fed's mandate the specific colors allowed, the states can't come along with a different color as an enhancement. Any color other than what the Federal law specifically permits would be a violation of the Federal law. That would not be enhancing the Federal law, it would be an attempt to change it.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It was always my understanding that the Federal Government could not interfere with the rights of the individual States. They could compell compliance via withholding funds, (such as was done when the 55mph speed limit was enacted),but that was it.And several States modified or ignored the speed limit before it was finally repealed. Another example being Hurricane Katrina. The Federal Government could not have FEMA up and running down there to assist until requested by the Governor to do so.

Does this not apply to other areas?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

It was always my understanding that the Federal Government could not interfere with the rights of the individual States. They could compell compliance via withholding funds, (such as was done when the 55mph speed limit was enacted),but that was it.And several States modified or ignored the speed limit before it was finally repealed. Another example being Hurricane Katrina. The Federal Government could not have FEMA up and running down there to assist until requested by the Governor to do so.

Does this not apply to other areas?
You are technically correct, but when it comes to motor vehicle regulations, I don't see any states willing to give up their federal highway funding. The 55mph speed limit was a big issue and a few states pursued it, but we are talking about turn signal colors here. I have a hard time seeing any state risk loosing federal highway funds over this issue.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In many cases,the state will have a blanket law that covers this. Something to the effect of "All Federal Laws shall be the law of XX State". Saves them from having to pass new legislation to change the state statute everytime a Federal law is enacted. Seems we fought awar about StateLaw versus Federal Law. The South lost.

The states can pass legislation that has a higher standard than Federal law, but they must comply with the Federal Minimum requirements. i.e. California Emmission Standards. So, I suppose if a state wanted to require 4 amber lights on the front (for example) that wouldn't conflict with Federal Law, and they could do so.

WOW...bunch of bikers practicing law....now there's a new one. Geeze...it's 74 degrees, why am I setting here debating this stuff....C ya....Time to ride!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:18 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Good discussion, guys. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn we all sound like intellectuals (did I spell that right?) today....

Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

Damn we all sound like intellectuals (did I spell that right?) today....

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 PM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay guys, I'll stick to the amber in front and and or amber/red in the rear. good topic of discussion I guess!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

In many cases,the state will have a blanket law that covers this. Something to the effect of "All Federal Laws shall be the law of XX State". Saves them from having to pass new legislation to change the state statute everytime a Federal law is enacted. Seems we fought awar about StateLaw versus Federal Law. The South lost.

The states can pass legislation that has a higher standard than Federal law, but they must comply with the Federal Minimum requirements. i.e. California Emmission Standards. So, I suppose if a state wanted to require 4 amber lights on the front (for example) that wouldn't conflict with Federal Law, and they could do so.

WOW...bunch of bikers practicing law....now there's a new one. Geeze...it's 74 degrees, why am I setting here debating this stuff....C ya....Time to ride!!!
This was basically my response to thedebate last week......Last week I was considered wrong, but this week I guess I'm considerd correct......[&:]

[8D]