Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

signal colors

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:34 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: signal colors

I'll have to do some research. I can't believe they're more strict about motorcycles than they are cars and trucks. In most States, you can have amber or white (clear) in the front, and amber or red in the rear.

Just about any other colors will definately get you pulled over, possibly ticketed, and definatetly the expense of replacing them.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

I'll have to do some research. I can't believe they're more strict about motorcycles than they are cars and trucks. In most States, you can have amber or white (clear) in the front, and amber or red in the rear.

Just about any other colors will definately get you pulled over, possibly ticketed, and definatetly the expense of replacing them.
I don't remember what year the change was made but I believe it was in the 80's. Vehicles manufactured prior to the change could have either amber or white lenses in the front. White has not been allowed on any vehicles after the change date for turn/running lamps.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can have a clear lens in the front, but in that case, the bulb had better be amber.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

You can have a clear lens in the front, but in that case, the bulb had better be amber.
Right you are Randy, I should not have used the word lenses in my answer. Me Bad

Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure we have all seen the tuner cars with white turn signals, chrome bulbs etc. I have seen both green and blue as well. But who needs an excuse to get pulled over?

BTW I believe the cut over year from white to amber fronts was 1968, the same year they introduced side markers on cars/trucks.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That's interesting. Now I really have to do some research. I checked not only my local statutes, but several other State's statutes for other guys just3 years ago when a bunch of us used clear lenses, and clear bulbs in the front of our trucks. Even Kalifornia was legal to have clear fronts.

I'll have to go back and check again, and look at the dates on those statutes.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, 68 was the year......It was driven by federal law....States had to comply or lose federal hwy funding....All MOCO's began producing compliant vehicles while states took their time changing their laws.

Antique vehicles that came with white front turns can usually retain them depending on state and sometimes only if vehicle is registered as antique.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
cHarley
Club Member

There's not much point in checking local and state statues. As stated above, the color of your front and rear indicator lamps is mandated by Federal law. Your state does not have the authority to supersede the Federally mandated regulation. If you want to dig, there was a thread on this subject about a week ago and the Fed. statute is posted in the thread.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

There's not much point in checking local and state statues. As stated above, the color of your front and rear indicator lamps is mandated by Federal law. Your state does not have the authority to supersede the Federally mandated regulation.
Exactly, your state law may very well allow clear. Once there is a Federal Law in place, many states don't bother with changing their law. Makes no difference, and is just a waste of time and paperwork.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not true....states must enact lawsthat meet, and then enforce federal requlations as a minimum....they are given time to examinethose minimum federal standards and schedule new legislation for passage.....In that process, they can decide if they need to enhance the federal minimum standards.

Quick Reply: signal colors