Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After-market Carbs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 AM
tgarrett1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After-market Carbs.

Anyone running aftermarket carbs what brand and how trust worthy?
Did you notice a increase in performance?
I'm running the stock carb on my 94' 883 with 1200 bore, Forcewinder intake, and open pipes. Been happy so far just looking for a little more.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
agedwards63
Road Master
Default RE: After-market Carbs.

I will always recommend a Mikuni have it on my Heritage and wish I had put one my 03 Sporty great throttle response

Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 AM
tgarrett1
Cruiser

agedwards63, Was it a noticeable differences worth the $$$
Thats what a friend ran on racing sleds years ago they were great.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CV-40 that came standard on the evo Sportsters is more than adequate for applications up to 100HP with proper tuning. I have mine tuned with the Yost kit changing the needle, spring, enlarging the vacuum port in the slide to 1/8", Yostemulsion tube, 45 pilot, 185 main jets. I run a Forcewinder and Samson pipes.
I get great performance as well as quick throttle response. The mikuni HSR-42is a nice carb and will perform well but for stock applications doesn't produce much more than 1-2 HP over what a properly tuned CV-40 will make.
For noticable power gains you may wanna look into a set of andrews cams or something similar, and if you really wanna get nutty, a setof buell thunderstorm heads and pistons along with those cams will get you in the really nutty range. [8D]

Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 AM
agedwards63
Road Master

try eastern performance they have them real cheap it feels like you put a set of hotter cams in it

Old 04-07-2008, 09:57 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

The CV-40 that came standard on the evo Sportsters is more than adequate for applications up to 100HP with proper tuning. I have mine tuned with the Yost kit changing the needle, spring, enlarging the vacuum port in the slide to 1/8", Yostemulsion tube, 45 pilot, 185 main jets. I run a Forcewinder and Samson pipes.
I get great performance as well as quick throttle response. The mikuni HSR-42is a nice carb and will perform well but for stock applications doesn't produce much more than 1-2 HP over what a properly tuned CV-40 will make.
For noticable power gains you may wanna look into a set of andrews cams or something similar, and if you really wanna get nutty, a setof buell thunderstorm heads and pistons along with those cams will get you in the really nutty range. [8D]
+1 Not worth it IMO.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM
tgarrett1
Cruiser

Biker Trash, sounds like that might work for me I just want a little quicker response. I'll look into the Yost Kit is it like a Thunderslide Kit?
Mine has been tuned on the dyno and runs great. Just looking for more off the line.
My next overhaul will include Buell Heads.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Mikuni 42 on my bike and left it on for about a week. They are not easy to tune, at least in my opinion. Maybe with a stock bike but not mine. We had it on the dyno for like 3 hours before I said no mas. My dyno results were less than with the CV with the right jets and Thunderslide kit. There was some better response but not real noticeable in my case. My results are somewhat skewed because my bike is somewhat heavily modified.

I've seen posts where shops have given people estimates as high as 12 hours to dyno tune a Mikuni. That's ridiculous I know but it does give some credibility to the potential difficulties involved. If you want one, Eastern Performance is definitely the place to buy it.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tgarrett1

Biker Trash, sounds like that might work for me I just want a little quicker response. I'll look into the Yost Kit is it like a Thunderslide Kit?
Mine has been tuned on the dyno and runs great. Just looking for more off the line.
My next overhaul will include Buell Heads.
Similar in some ways. From what I have read it's a horse apiece as far as which one performs better but I have never used a Thunderslide kit to have my own comparison. I am very satisfied with the Yost kit. It was easy to install and has given me good results. I get 42 MPG combined city/country roads and I just clocked 44 MPG running 70 mph on the freeway for 100 miles headfirst into the wind.
Where I live is around 700 ft above sea level and my set up is good forbelow 1000 ft abovesea level.
The Yost CV-40 Master kit retails for around$110 but americanclassicmotorson ebay has it for $89with free shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CV-40...spagenameZWD1V

Edit: heres a couple of links thatI viewed before purchasing my kit...

http://www.mklsportster.com/xlyost.htm

http://www.mklsportster.com/xlyost.htm

http://www.americanthunderbike.org/p...views/yost.php

Old 04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
cam it!
Cruiser

Just a note on the thunderslide kit...
There was one installed on my bike when I bought it used...
After installing the Yost tube, I found the composite slide a little too "reactive" with the yost spring, and switched back to the stock one (stiffer)

After reading about the thunderslide, I personally wouldn't have swapped for the composite slide.Since it was already in the carb...I just worked around it.

Definately recommend the Yost kit though..very tunable...

Rick C.

Quick Reply: After-market Carbs.