Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do when you decide to not wear a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:39 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: What do you do when you decide to not wear a helmet

I'll wear a helmet when you can guarantee me that I will never die. We all are going to die some time with or with out a helmet. I've seen to many people with pious attitudes about things like helmets and smoking fall over dead to worry about it. Life is a risk, live it or not its up to you, not the courts or any one else.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bacon_Grease

ORIGINAL: Bradley Jones

ORIGINAL: Terp84Alum

You're worried about scratching your bike but now busting your head?
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Don't get me wrong I hate helmets but as soon as I hit NH from MA I just strap it around my headlight hood/brow thing. But I wear one of those non dot helmets and it's small enough to do this. My other option is around my arm/elbow then pull the strap tight. But again I got one of those tiny things. Good thing I live a few miles from the border I believe in helmets but I don't wear em on my nightster. I always wore them when riding rice burners but not cruisers I don't go fast enough. Besides I'm the master at tactical rolls.[sm=wootwoot.gif]
You have got to be shitting me. Well, shitting yourself, really.
Please ilaberate while I go clean my tighty whiteys.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:45 PM
pepfan25
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i had to carry new helmet home from bike shop i just wrapped the chin strap around the left shock and clip it. seemed to work fine.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

Took off Saturday a.m. cold morning for a funeral with my full face helmet on. As the day, temperature, and my sinus problem wore on - the helmet HAD TO GO. It felt like someone was driving nails in the top of my head, and it was seriously affecting my ability to drive my bike without wanting to go postal.
I pulled it down over my sissy bar, cinched the chin strap down, snapped it - and was off again - free of the nails in the top of my head, and calm once again.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 PM
THE YETI
Cruiser

It all depends on how fabulous my hair is looking that day.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
wojeepster
Advanced

I wear a seatbelt when I drive a car. I wear boots, leather jacket, gloves, and full face when I ride a motorcycle. I fell 15 feet off a roof. Now 15 feet is not very far. I have never hurt soooo much. I thought I would be ok in two weeks... I broke my spine and was lucky I didn't croak that day. It took five years before I was no longer in pain. I finally healed. Protective equipment is no guarantee, but it helps. Have you ever slipped and hit your head on concrete? Now think what that is like when you are going 35mph!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I usually don't, but will on highway, etc. they really destroy the ride for me. The weight, wind noise. I have to buy a XL-XXL everytime, and they are hjust HUGE on my head. Catch a lot of wind and make it hard to ride.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

In SC you don't need a helmet, But in NC you do and I live 1/2 mile from the border. So I just get used to wearing it all the time.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a helmet specifically for riding to and through states with helmet laws, acarbon fiber Daytona Skull Cap. Light weight, comfortable,DOT approved, andhalf price! on the down side, the half price deal was, "here it is, take it or leave it", and was a size or so too large. The good news is that with some adhesive strips of foam I got from a western store hat department, it now fits nicely. I won't pretend to think it will protect me in the event of a crash nearly as well as a helmet that fits properly right off the shelf, but it doesn't move around on my head with 25 mph crosswinds while riding at 75 mph either. That means it will do what I got it for. If I am riding in a state that doesn't require helmet use, I may or may not wear a helmet. My risk, my choice. I have good health insurance, so I won't be a tax burden should my brain become oatmeal.

Teek

Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 AM
kdogg
Advanced

People can choose (some states) to wear a helmet or not. IMHO, I think it looks silly seeing someone not wearing a helmet, but it's strapped right behind them.

Quick Reply: What do you do when you decide to not wear a helmet