Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown front ball bearing at 100mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
taggiascoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown front ball bearing at 100mph

About a week ago i bought this criss cross front wheel by arlen ness, i put it on no problem, everything was fine. I went for a few rides nearby in the next days and i could hear this noise coming from the wheel, so i got home i lifted the bike push the wheel and found out one of the ball bearings ,that came with the wheel, was broken, still working but about to break. So i took the ball bearing from the stock laced wheel and replaced it, that was the brake disc side (left). After that ive been to the city and back short distances and no faster than 65 mph. Today i decided to go on the highway and push the engine a bit since where i live its small roads all corners; As soon as i got on the highwayi start speeding up i reach 100 mph, the wheel starts wobbling i **** myself i slam on the brakes ( a truck almost ran me over) i look down and the right ball bearing was blown up, smoke coming from it and 3 or 4 ***** missing. I had to call the tow truck, paid 100 Euros. Basically the ball bearing i replaced was fine, the other one which came with the wheel this time didnt make it i would like to know if i could have been so lucky to get two faulty bearings and also if they exist faulty bearings.
Good job i didnt fall

Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: blown front ball bearing at 100mph

Glad you're ok. My guess, there is something wrong with the wheel that caused the bearings to go.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
taggiascoz
Cruiser

i love that wheel i hope it aint the cause of the bearings failing

Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Gnight
Cruiser

I don't see how it has anything to do with the wheel. I haven't worked on bikes much but I doubt it could be 'cause of the wheel. Just sounds like you got very unlucky.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 PM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Holy **** that sounds scary! Hope you find the root cause of the bearing failure. Ride safe.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Having two bearings successively fall apart as you describe seems highly unlikely to me. My bet is that the bearing seat in the wheel you received was not cut/ground properly and contributed to a sloppy/poor bearing fit thereby causing the ultimate failure of both bearings.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Out of curiosity, in what country do you travel in MPH yet pay for a tow in Euro's???

Old 04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You did pack the bearings with grease, right?

Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
taggiascoz
Cruiser

Out of curiosity, in what country do you travel in MPH yet pay for a tow in Euro's???
i live in italy, i was speaking of mph to let you understand better the situation, then i said euro to let you know how expensive is that kind of service in italy.
You did pack the bearings with grease, right?
the bearings which failed where already fitted in the wheel infact the one i replaced didnt break
Having two bearings successively fall apart as you describe seems highly unlikely to me. My bet is that the bearing seat in the wheel you received was not cut/ground properly and contributed to a sloppy/poor bearing fit thereby causing the ultimate failure of both bearings.
infact the first that broke was too hard to remove and when i fit the new one i had to sandpaper the seat a bit

Old 04-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Sounds scary Tagg, I'd keep a close eye on the new bearings & keep it below 70 for awhile until you know it's not the wheel or the bearing fit that's causing the problem. It might entail jacking up the front fairly often, but, better that than dead.

Quick Reply: blown front ball bearing at 100mph