Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Harley owner questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM
kdogg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Harley owner questions?

I just got my Nighster last week. I've rode it a few times and put over 100 miles on it. Well, the last few times I've ridden, and shut the engine off - I can still hear clanking sounds? I've searched here at the forums, but I can't tell if that's normal?

Then yesterday, I start the bike as I'm getting my helmet and gloves on. The bike starts stuttering like it's just about to stall. It literally almost did stall a few times, but it just idled really low and rough. Is that normal?

My bike is bone stock.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Harley owner questions?

The "clanking" sounds heard when you shut it off may just be the metal cooling off. Kind of like a new car's muffler will pop when it starts to cool off. It should eventually stop doing that, if that's what the cause is.

Harley's used to idle very slow, but the newer fuel injection bikes idle at higher rpms. Sounds like it needs some adjustment. Does it do it whether the engine is cold or warm? Or just when it's cold? May have to return to the dealer and have them look at it.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 246 Posts

All the noises you hear on shut off are normal, especially on air cooled bikes. I have heard some scary sounds after shut off over the years, but they all do it while cooling down, some more than others. The rough running is hard to say without more info, you can always let your dealer check it out.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:16 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

You might have flooded it while starting it. Don't touch the throttle at all when starting. Let the fuel injectors work to put the fuel in the cylinders.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM
pepfan25
Intermediate

i have an 08 1200n also and sorry but i never had the problem your talkin about. dont hesitate to take it back to the stealer. i am a 1st time owner and but regular gas in the first two tanks.(the first day) i heard some pinging when reving the engine. if you have concearns. bing it back..

Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 AM
rhbb1200n
Intermediate

I did not have the noises that you are experiencing, but as far as the idling and sounding like it is going to stall... been there except mine did stall. bought my 08 in november and almost everytime i started it it would stall. i had to rev it for a least 5 min or so staying right with it to keep it going. i sought some advice and was told it is probably because it is new and will work itself out and maybe because i was primarily riding in cold temps. well not to alarm you but then one day.....turn the key.... nothing. all that would happen was the odometer would light up...thats it. had to take it in to the dealer and low and behold the ignition was falty the whole time. they replaced the ignition and got new keys and haven't had a problem since. she starts perfect everytime.

just food for thought....hopefully you don't have a problem but it was an easy fix and under warranty...did not have to pay a thing. and kudos to my dealer...i know there is not usually any good feedback about them but they got right on it for me....it was monday and they had it out the door for me on wed....cause i was leaving for daytona bike week on friday.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:14 AM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A FI bike shouldnt have to be revved while at idle. I wonder what grade of gas he is using?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 AM
danny1940
Cruiser

You should get back to the dealer. That Nightster should fire right up and idle without any need for throttle. I'd put my money on the ignition or the ecu being bad. Dan

Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

In really cold weather, while warming up, mine has stalled on 2 occaisions, but, started right back up. Make sure you are using premium gas, and as the others have said, do not rev the bike during warm-up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/0575524573CD4EADBDD2A109336DC4B2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 most metals will make cracking/popping sounds when a heat source is removed and it starts cooling down quickly. It's just chemistry, nothing to worry about.

+1 are you using the good stuff or low-octane? An fuel-injected bike should idle smoothly. The bike's computer (ECM) does the work that the choke used to do. Nothing to adjust, no need for throttle. If you are using premium gas, and you get more than the occasional skipped beat in idle, then, yes, take it to the dealer. It's under warranty.

Quick Reply: Newbie Harley owner questions?