Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Werbeck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed last night

I lost control of the bike last night. I was coming home just around dusk and made an aggressive left turn into our neighborhood. Almost half way through the turn I went into a patch of landscaper's gravel and BOOM! Down I went. I know the gravel wasn't there when I left but no excuse, I was riding too fast for the road conditions, totally my fault and I feel like a fool.

The ironic thing is I had just taken the HD Experienced Rider's course last weekend, was the star student, and get this--I was actually coming home last night from PRACTICING at the junior college nearby that has the MSF course painted on the parking lot!! Additionally, I had ridden the previous two days out amongst the winding roads we have here in TN. So It's not like I wasn't proficient.

What makes me really feel like an idiot is that I fit all the stereotypes- an old guy, his first Harley (but not my first bike) and, of course, it was a Nightster.
Anyway, went to the hospital in an ambulance, had all the x-rays done, nothing broken but my shoulder and left arm are useless and I banged up my left ankle pretty good.
All the usual stuff on the left side of my bike will have to be replaced-mirrors, lights, clutch handle, etc. And the gas tank has a huge dent in it from the handlebars smacking it
I need to get the bike fixed ASAP and ride again before I lose my confidence. I swear I never thought I would be the cause of my own accident, thought it would be some cager that did me in. This really sucks.

One more thing-you don't realize how fast 30 mph is until you hit the pavement! Glad I had my helmet on, I really had my bell rung, saw stars and everything.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Crashed last night

Glad you are okay and hope to see you back on the road! Hope you recover well and ride safe!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you made it out without too much damage. Gravel/sand on pavement has tried to do me in a few times over the years, so far I have been lucky.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you didn't get hurt any worse! Get better and get that bike fixed too so you get back on that horse.
My question is what landscaper is so careless that they leave graval in the road? I used to work concrete we had graval delivered sometimes in the road. The boss wasserious about uscleaning and sweeping the road before we went home.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:58 AM
seven7
Tourer

glad to hear yer ok man... that;s why i always wear a helmut!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

glad to hear you are alright... man your nightster is one of my favorites! hope re assembly goes well! i would find the landscaper and just inform the owner what happened. not so much to get anything but to prevent future issues for other riders.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 176 Posts

ORIGINAL: Werbeck
One more thing-you don't realize how fast 30 mph is until you hit the pavement!
I hear you. It happened to me years ago on my first bike...definitely not fun.

Good that you're okay. Hopefully you're back up and riding soon.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 AM
wind rider
Tourer

Glad to hear youre not hurt any worse than you are. I layed one down a log time ago, sounds about like your mishap, minor scrapes on me but tore the hell out of my bike. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get to riding again asap

Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

Glad you're okay Werbeck--what a scary thing. And so sorry about your bike. It sounds like it can be fixed though--the main thing is you. Experienced folks are always cautioning me about gravel too--have it all around here. Thanks for posting this--a reminder to all of us to be careful, and wear the right gear. There are times we've all been just plain lucky. Mend well Werbeck--let us know when you're back in the saddle.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. But hey, you learned an important lesson, corners often have gravel on them. I saw guy, several years ago, take an offramp and turn the corner pretty fast and lose it. You are not the first and won't be the last to make that mistake.

Quick Reply: Crashed last night