Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
98XL1200C
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crashed last night

Sorry to hear that..glad your okay

Old 04-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you're OK. It is a pretty lousy way to end a ride.

Good luck on a speedy recuperation and an inexpesive repair bill!

ORIGINAL: Werbeck

I lost control of the bike last night. I was coming home just around dusk and made an aggressive left turn into our neighborhood. Almost half way through the turn I went into a patch of landscaper's gravel and BOOM! Down I went. I know the gravel wasn't there when I left but no excuse, I was riding too fast for the road conditions, totally my fault and I feel like a fool.

The ironic thing is I had just taken the HD Experienced Rider's course last weekend, was the star student, and get this--I was actually coming home last night from PRACTICING at the junior college nearby that has the MSF course painted on the parking lot!! Additionally, I had ridden the previous two days out amongst the winding roads we have here in TN. So It's not like I wasn't proficient.

What makes me really feel like an idiot is that I fit all the stereotypes- an old guy, his first Harley (but not my first bike) and, of course, it was a Nightster.
Anyway, went to the hospital in an ambulance, had all the x-rays done, nothing broken but my shoulder and left arm are useless and I banged up my left ankle pretty good.
All the usual stuff on the left side of my bike will have to be replaced-mirrors, lights, clutch handle, etc. And the gas tank has a huge dent in it from the handlebars smacking it
I need to get the bike fixed ASAP and ride again before I lose my confidence. I swear I never thought I would be the cause of my own accident, thought it would be some cager that did me in. This really sucks.

One more thing-you don't realize how fast 30 mph is until you hit the pavement! Glad I had my helmet on, I really had my bell rung, saw stars and everything.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
peggy
Advanced

hope you get better fast. sorry it happened,but thanks for the refresher course. got my bike last spring,went thru classes,got my license,then went down (on gravel)with 600 miles on a brand new bike . the look on my husbands face was one i never want to see again!!!!!!!!!!!he was the force behind me getting my bike so he felt he was the one to blame,after the shock wore off and he checked the bike out to make sure everything was ok,the hardest thing for me to do was to get on her and ride home! twenty miles! ididn't realize how hurt i was till i got off the bike in the front yard and my leg wouldn't hold me up. well you realy will feel it later and remember that pain, it will keep you humble. fast recoveryto you!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn man, that sucks. I gotta get with you and RoadHead, as he said, he went through a similar thing last summer.

Gonna hafta take ya on a ride with the Pig!!! (I know it could happen to me tomorrow)

Get yourself and the bike better, and hopefully all of us, in the Nashville area, canhookup for a ride.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 PM
SHOAT
Road Master

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you weren't hurt more than you are. Good luck with your shoulder and getting your ride fixed.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

Wishing you a fast heal & a ride soon.
A good reminder though... the rains have washed rocks out over the roads around here... to often in the middle of a blind curve.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This made me sick to my stomach when I read it... Your bike is so damn good looking... The important thing is that you are okay... The bike can be fixed... Definitely proves that it can happen to anyone... I know that you are an experienced rider... Damn gravel [:@]

Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the other club brother!
get well soon and dont let that iron horse scrare you to much,got toget in the saddle when well enough.
speedy recovery

Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heal fast and get back out there.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
bhtx
Tourer

I did that last year at about the same speed. I am just now getting back the higher speed turn nerve.

i would like to see you get that tank dished since you need to do something with it

Quick Reply: Crashed last night