Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Kiwibiker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike Jitters

Just ordered a new Nightser.
This is the first bike i have ridden for over 10 years .Previously had a 72 Triumph Trophy but did very little riding on this.
The Nightster suited me perfectly as i could touch the ground very easily (vertically challenged) im about 5"7 and 170 Pounds... i didn't get to test ride as a dont have my full bike license and am wondering if this is a hard bike to learn to ride.
Geeze they look awesome.....

Cheers

Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 AM
nolafishr
Banned
Default RE: First bike Jitters

No they are not hard to learn, I just picked up a 01 Sportster 1200 as a second Bike and I am still getting use to it, it is not hard to handle and it is easy to maneuver, You might want to try going to a empty parking lot somewhere with no traffic and practice riding, turning and maneuvering the bike, there is one here where I am and every weekend there are some people out there with bikes and have cones set up and are practice riding. It would be a good idea, I need to do that myself!
Do not be scared of the Bike but do not get foolish on it either, take your time and Be Safe!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:55 AM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

Take a MSF class!!!!
Its money well spent and will probably save your life a time or two.

Ride around side streets and practice circles in a parking lot. Once you get the feel of the clutch you will be fine.
Important note......ALWAYS keep your right wrist fully flat. This will prevent you from accidentally twisting your throttle.
And LOOK into your turns!!! Do not look at what you are trying not to hit because you will hit it. Keep your chin pointed atwhere you are going.

BE SAFE

Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah take the class!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:08 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll be fine. I had not rode in 25 years when I got my Sporty. It took a few hundred miles to get my riding legs back under me, but all worked out. I had kept my motorcycle license all those years, so that wasn't an issue. Eventhough I didn't, I also recommend the MSF class. I have since taken the advanced rider class.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You made the right choice the Nightster is low to ground, light weight, short and well balanced I'm not sure if there is another HD as easy to ride. You should have no problems riding it.

Take a safe riding class!

Enjoy and be safe.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just keep in mind you are at the most vulnerable stage. The first 6 months or so take it real easy, avoid heavy traffic and keep a close watchon any cages you can see. Your safety relies on your reactions, not thinking. Those reactions come with experience. Ride very defensively and Good Luck!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kiwibiker

Just ordered a new Nightser.
This is the first bike i have ridden for over 10 years .Previously had a 72 Triumph Trophy but did very little riding on this.
The Nightster suited me perfectly as i could touch the ground very easily (vertically challenged) im about 5"7 and 170 Pounds... i didn't get to test ride as a dont have my full bike license and am wondering if this is a hard bike to learn to ride.
Geeze they look awesome.....

Cheers
MSF course would be a plus.

I went from a 1972 Bonneville, and like you, I didn't ride it much. Biggest issue was getting used to HD left side shift/right side brakefrom the Triumph's opposite configuration.

Weight difference was no big deal.

First few times I wanted to hit the brake on the Low Rider resulted in downshift without clutch!!

Take it easy at first and you'll do just fine.

Sammi

Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 AM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on taking the class.
The Nightster is very easy to ride, but make sure you get comfortable in a open space or side streets
before taking to the streets.
Also,remember to BREATH! I think on the day I brought home my first bike I road for about 2 blocks
before I realized I wasn't breathing because of the nervousness/excitement. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has done this.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Guell
6th Gear

Just take it easy, my first bike was a buell 1200, lots mo powah and taller. It might be scary at first but youll get into a groove!

Quick Reply: First bike Jitters