Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: First bike Jitters

You'll enjoy the Nightster. Very honest handling bike. You'll adjust quickly. After two tanks, you feel right at home on it.

If your tag means that you're in NZ....then obviously there will be no MSF course there, but there surely is some course on how-to-ride-safely somewhere around there. In the States, many states accept that course as part of the licensing procedure and insurance companies often give a discount for it. So there is incentive to take it. Most find it incredibly beneficial. I did. Just good to get feedback, advice, etc. from experienced riders.

ENjoy your ride!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
kdogg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great choice! It's a very nimble bike, but watch out for the power. I didn't get a test ride. So I was pleasantly surprised how much power a slight twist of the throttle gets.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
wojeepster
Advanced

The first motorcycle I bought I drove 20 miles home the long way because I didn't know if I could make it through town with the stop and go traffic.You did not need a motorcycle license in NC for along time.When they changed the law you just got a paper that said you had been riding for a few years, got it notarized and vola! you had your motorcycle license endorsement(I think this was 1976 or there about). Realizing I wasn't the most proficient I took the motorcycle safety course. Idrove to Madison,Wis on my 550 suzuki and took it there (my sister lived there at the time) and I read everything I could find on motorcyclesafety, braking, countersteering (there wasn't much available at the time). Keith Codes"A twist of the wrist, a motorcycle road racers handbook" comes to mind. It was one of the few books that talked about braking, cornering, and countersteering even though Iwasn't trying to go fast. Driving a dirt bike as a kid was not the same as driving on the street and I learned to use that front brake, emergency stopping, and countersteering. Now after not having a motorcycle for 15 years I am going to buy a Sportster.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 AM
gseely
Cruiser

I found myself in precisely the same situation several months ago. I too bought a Nightster, and am even more vertically-challenged -- 5'5" and 140#.

I took the MSF class (highly recommended), but still felt nervous on the Nightster.

MY SOLUTION: I bought a used 250 metric bike (the same size used in the MSF class) to practice on, and put about 600 miles on it -- most of which consisted of stops, starts, corners, etc. in quiet neighborhoods.

It helped a LOT, and I knew that if I dropped the 250 (unlikely) that I wouldn't be out a lot of cash. Frankly, I believe I can get at least as much out of it right now as I spent on it.

I LOVE the Nightster now, BTW. It's perfect for short people, and it really is easy to handle. Even the seat that some people complain about fits me perfectly, and at my weight, the stiff suspension isn't even a problem.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 PM
VBCH Nightster
Cruiser

Practice braking, respect your skill limitations, practice braking, respect your bike, practice braking, respect the road, practice braking and you will be safer for it. Also, practice braking.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude, when I got my bike, i had a friend ride it home for me until I had time to practice in the parking lot. I really didn't know anything about bike past the small (12 year old) dirt bike area. I raced BMX and mountain biked all the time as a kid, which really helped me pick up the bike right away. Just had to get use to the weight and acceleration.

Simple rule of thumb in my mind;if you feel out of control, you are.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

And always remember to breathe through your nose!!!

Although Dragon flies, June bugs, and various other flying beatles are very nutritious, They dont feel too good bruising your tonsils when they hit at 75 mph. [:@]

Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree take the class. My 1200 is pretty much my first real bike, and (knock on wood) no problems. Very easy to handle.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
pepfan25
Intermediate

hey im in the same boat as you. same height and weight. the nightster is soooo smooth. i feal like there is 2 different poistions a can ride with..all how i feal. you can sit up straight arms relaxed..but if you straight your arms like your reaching for the bars head down alittle you can ride real aggressive with a bike that is so nimble...you made a right choice.... i only have a permit 2. just hit the 1000 mile mark. your gonna wanna ride everyday after your first time around the block. safe rideing...

Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 PM
orvisbre
Advanced

nightster was my first road bike.......(22 years old).......i have been riding dirtbikes since i was younger but it was a different story....take it easy for the first few however many miles and avoid busy area's until your feel comfortable.......you will do find and be flying around with confidence in no time......the class isnt a bad idea either..

Quick Reply: First bike Jitters