Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006 | 07:57 PM
boxer77
|
Novice
Default RE: New Sportster?

I guess the hight part is how high I am above the handle bars, I like sitting lower , sorry for the confusion, as for all the sporty's im flat footed on all of them, I guess Im talking about ride higth.
Thanks!

Old 02-08-2006 | 08:01 PM
boxer77
|
Novice

ORIGINAL: boxer77

Well I just got back from the Harley dealership, I sat on a 883 low and 1200 low, for some reason the lows feel more comfortable than just a regualr 883, I feel to tall on a regular 883.
The price for a 883 low in black OTD he said, would be 8000.00, Im gonna put 1000.00 down on it.
He said he couldnt get roadsters in, he said 3 months and had to order them.
For the price for a 1200 low was 11,300 otd! no way am I going to pay that when I could get a street bob for 14000.00.
So it looks as if the 883 is were my budget is either the Low or the roadster. So would my weight be a factor on a 883?, I would stick forward controls on the bad boy, not right off but mabey in the spring time. This will be my first bike in 5 years, and then at that I only road the streets for one summer.
The dealership guy is kinda annoyed by me since I have changed my mind so many times on what I want. Oh well. Should I get a extended waranty on this bike as well?
Thanks so much for your help!
I just read over my post, and it is confusing, I was talking about how I sit higher. Sorry[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:02 PM
Wolhar
Banned

Weight is not a factor for the 883. When I bought mine I was 250. I have no issues with power. When people tell you the 883 is under powered they may be talkin of two up riding. I have riden 8,000 miles since June '05, all types of riding, the only time I can tell Iam on a Sportster is on the Interstate, and then it is only becasue of the higher RPM, not lack of power. I ride twisty mountain roads, lots of up and down hills, I stay with the Dynas and the Softails and end up pushing most of them due to better handling and road clearance. It's an issue of what kind of riding would you be doing? Is gut power the issue? Racing? Crotch Rocket quickness is found in no Harley. If you are unhappy with an 883C, I would say it is more Ego, than real hardware issues. Two up touring, riding long distances are not what the Sporty is designed for, so naturally one will not fit that "bill". All around general riding, day trips, down to the corner store, Poker Runs, etc the Sporty is plenty of Bike in either 883 or 1200. Most people I have come in contact with, both riders and non-riders think the 883 is some sort of beginner bike, it is simply a matter of Ego. Less is sometimes more but todays Society cannot accept that.
I bought mine used, had one full year warranty left, I had plans to bump it up to a 1200, since I got on it the first day it has convinced me that for my type of riding the 1200 is or would have been a total waste of money. One year old 883C out the door for 8 grand, to much in some places, average for where I live, and it fit my budget, was the trim I wanted, was well taken care of, in short a good deal to me, so I bought it and have not one regret. Just my .02

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:34 PM
boxer77
|
Novice

Ya Im not doing long road tripping, just like you said puttin around the country side, visiting family, just somthing to ride.
Im gonna go to a diffrent dealership tommorow, I realy like the roadster looks, the dealer today acted like it was a hassel to get one.
I think it is between a 883 low or a 1200R.
Cant wait to get one!

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:48 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

Another thing... maybe look for a different dealer. I went to different dealers up to over an hour away. Most had the "Take-it-or-leave-it" attitude, but I ended up finding one who's really made me a deal and was willing to work with me. Just 'cause they're all Harley Dealers doesn't mean they're all the same.

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:53 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master

I am 5,11 and i weigh in just over or under 150 and the bike is great for me at my height but the weight may slow it down some but you will still be able to out run most of the other hd but if i was you i would do a stage 1 just to make sure you want get passed or just for the hell of it. That is the way i roll.

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:02 PM
boxer77
|
Novice

Ya, I am going to another dealer. If a 1200 cant get me around im in big trouble lol.
I already had my credit ran at this one dealership, I hope that they wouldnt try to sabotage my deal at another place..... Man when did I ever get so distrusting of people? oh well.
BTW what is a stage1 Im a rookie to the vtwin HD scene?
Thanks!

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:10 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

If I remember right Stage 1 is aka the Harley Tax. That amounts to SE/aftermarket mufflers, high flow air cleaner, and rejetting the carb. Basically, the way the bike should have come from the factory if not for the environmentalists and government.

Old 02-09-2006 | 01:14 AM
fl_799
Road Master

Boxer, if they ran through HD credit, let the other dealer know that you have already been applied/processed and they'll pickup the account at eagle savings.

I'm about your size 6'0 230 and switch off on occassion with my buddies '04 883 'hugger' (he also owns a Road King for touring). The 883 feels real good and has plenty of power with just a stage one kit. Riding the Sportster is a real treat since I've f'n lusted for one since I was 12 years old and used to read the cycle trader's just to look at the pictures of the Sportsters.

Old 02-09-2006 | 01:20 AM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: boxer77

Well I just got back from the Harley dealership, I sat on a 883 low and 1200 low, for some reason the lows feel more comfortable than just a regualr 883, I feel to tall on a regular 883.
The price for a 883 low in black OTD he said, would be 8000.00, Im gonna put 1000.00 down on it.
He said he couldnt get roadsters in, he said 3 months and had to order them.
For the price for a 1200 low was 11,300 otd! no way am I going to pay that when I could get a street bob for 14000.00.
So it looks as if the 883 is were my budget is either the Low or the roadster. So would my weight be a factor on a 883?, I would stick forward controls on the bad boy, not right off but mabey in the spring time. This will be my first bike in 5 years, and then at that I only road the streets for one summer.
The dealership guy is kinda annoyed by me since I have changed my mind so many times on what I want. Oh well. Should I get a extended waranty on this bike as well?
Thanks so much for your help!
I'm seeing a couple of red flags with your dealer, but that might just be me...
If the dealer is charging more than MSRP for the base price, it's too much. The days of short inventory really are gone.
If freight and prep are more than say $275, beware.
No sales person should EVER get annoyed with you - you're a customer for heaven's sake, spending 5 figures! How's it gonna be when you walk back in the door and want help with accessories or parts? I'd hate to feel I wasn't welcome when I want help to spend money!
That all said, there are great dealers out there. Here in Phoenix, a couple are notorious "used car salesmen" gougers, while the others are super with great sales AND service departments.
It pays to shop around, not just for the bike, but for the dealer.
Oh, and as far as the warranty - the base warranty is probably fine but I highly recommend a tire and wheel package (just had a flat front tire, and it was nice to have it replaced/serviced for "free" - paid for itself that one time).
Good luck - you're gonna enjoy that Sporty!

Quick Reply: New Sportster?