Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank re-do

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 PM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tank re-do

Bought the bike with the funky paint job. I wet sanded the graphics off this evening. I am going to have to pull the tank off eventually and sand and re-shoot the whole thing. For now, I will leave it like it is so I can ride it. I have'nt decieded yet if I am going to leave it blue or change the color. Any idea what style this tank is? It apears bigger than stock.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: tank re-do

looks like the one jp cycles sells on page 432 of the 08 catalog. its the smooth top with 2" stretch almost 100% positive. But at almost 400 bucks I'd strip and skirt that one. Full tin paint job will only take a week without any pinstriping or graphics just bite the bullet and send em to a pro!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

how much time you have... if you really take your time you can turn a rattle can paint job into a pro looking job... I have done it, a guy and his son just did it on a sporty they built, takes a bit more time but can be done... other option would be to learn to shoot... you can order pre thined paints and shoot a strait color... there area alot of guys on here that paint.. i use them allthe time for help when i shoot bikes... woudl amaze you the knowlege on this forum... ABC in the dyna section is amazing AMAZING with paint! if ya try rattle can you can get some pretty good quality paints... dont just get the cheap stuff... I like dupont personally... easy to work with... your going to have to go down a bit more to at least 400, then prime... then shoot, wet sand, shoot, wet sand, shoot, till you get all the little flakes and dustings, hair and what not from in the air off the tank... when i do rattle can paint jobs i wet the floor to keep from dust flying around... then clear sand clear ... clear a bunch... let it cure... wait a week or so then buff it all up to a shine! works like a charm! I say try it! if you dont like it just sand it down and take it somewhere... will only cost you like 30 bucks to realize your not a painter... trick is to use VERY light coats... take your time do not rush and you can get a hell of a paint job. I know i am cheap but whatever...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh you can get a good job outa a rattle can my buddy works at a paint supply shop and not only can he get me good paint cheap so one of my auto paint guys can use but he can mix up any color using color codes or custom colors and put em in a rattle can. Nothing like House Of Kolor single stage in a can!!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to do rattle can easy flat rules.I've done the spray,sand, spray, sand, spray buff thing a couple times and it came out good but a good flat black looks cool as hell and is a hell of allot less work.Krylon Semi Flat Black looks just like "Black Denim" for about a third the price.