Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-Ironhead Sportsters

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Kevinflstc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm glad I bought a Ironhead!

Well I just purchased a 77 Ironhead and after reading pretty much this entire thread I think I made the right choice.
I'm going to use this bike to learn how to wrench on one.
I think I'm just going to slightly customize it to my tastes.
I have a 2015 Heritage for my daily rider so I'm not going to rush things on this new ironhead ( new to me) . Just going to enjoy it. Maybe she will be my Sunday ride! I'll post some pics soon and let everyone follow along. I'll always be looking for tips and hope to learn from those that want to share their knowledge .

Old 12-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Waza
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

79' Ironhead, very reliable, no leaks. I added Hagon rear suspension & updated the front end to a 2000, also added a 4-piston caliper & floating front disc.

It stops, corners & flat screams in the 1/8 mile

My "Canyon Cutter" I've owned this for about 18 years & rebuilt it then.

This is an older pic with stock front end

Name:  CanyonCutteR10-14_zpsb6fdf8b6.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  110.0 KB[/URL]

A recent pic
Name:  photo%2046_zpsvtxfeblw.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  222.4 KB[/URL]

Last edited by Waza; 12-21-2015 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K (11-05-2021)
Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 AM
Shooterj2003
Stage IV

I have a 77 xlh,don't know who the wing ding was who was whining and bad mouthing iron heads,I suspect he doesn't know much about them or maybe much about mechanics at all,splitting 'cases ,driving holes sideways through em'.? What the f!?/?.well,every engine ever made has probably been broken,he may just have bad luck!
Mine is been a reliable trustworthy steed,ever since I saved it from the PO who sold it to me,if it leaks a drop I find the reason,a cracked hose once - bad hose, I would not hesitate to run it from N.Y. To Florida,or California. I did once have a Sportser like that guy withe cat avatar had,I bought it new in 76 , she eventually got worn and I fixed them with patch up work and baling wire,too bad I didn't know a bit more mechanic skills,she would have been fine.Thing is these are like a horse ,if you care for them they always work,if you ride them hard and put them up wet,they will get sick on you.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

-Ironhead Sportsters-6dnmsxll.jpg

Love em or hate em. One thing is for sure, you definitely need to know what you're doing or you will forever have a shitty bike. I spend a lot of time turning people away from ironheads. Most people don't have the mechanical skill, knowledge, or drive to own a good one. This one was a good shape, running and riding, mostly original bike. It still had transmission failure in the past, leaked massively, needed a whole new wiring harness, etc. Par for the course. I've got a fair amount of cash in this already, and since I am a shop owner I don't charge myself labor, which would easily triple this project beyond what most would be willing to spend for an Ironhead. Can't beat riding it around town and blasting on the highway when it's in good shape. I can't wait to get this back on the road and bulletproof.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 06-19-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 AM
tommygun211
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good morning guys here is my 84 sporty

Y2K (11-05-2021)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 AM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,293 Likes on 786 Posts

All this Trash Talkin about Ironhead Sportsters by people that have never owned one. Today they are dirt cheap so some guys that dream about having a bobber buy them to hack into their idea of what a motorcycle should be. Basically, they know jack **** about what they have and instead of doing research, getting a Factory Service Manual and Parts Manual, they ask dump questions of a Forum, with HELP ME. As with any Harley, the reliability is contingent on how well you maintain it. Here's my 1977 XLH 1000, occasionally get a drip of oil outta the breather tube, but NO LEAKS.That 42 year old 61 inch Ironhead can keep up with my Wife on her 04 1200 Custom.

Lwood10 (07-01-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:20 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 641 Likes on 229 Posts

Still riding my '83. I've had it 29 years now, and will probably never sell it. It's been a great machine!

Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 546 Likes on 465 Posts

Here is my 80 XLH....

Fun bike to ride...it is a piece of history. Like all bikes, you need to maintain. I sold this bike and got me an even older piece of history.

My 1971 FLH Electra Glide. That being said....I would never think of butchering a piece of history. There were 3 things I hated about the ironhead...you need to hold down the turn signal button (not a switch or self-cancelling), the oil filter was located behind the rear cylinder under the seat (mine was relocated to the front frame for ease in maintenance), and the short shift lever mid-controls.....and mind you, this is an AMF/Harley Davidson.

I still loved my twinkie (2011 XL1200L) for riding the best...easy to work on and fun to customize.....and dependable with all the bells and whistles....and parts are readily available. I used this bike to commute to work daily.

Last edited by hscic; 05-15-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:04 PM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,080 Likes on 442 Posts

If you grab one you had better be handy with a wrench. I've had an '82 and i have a '76. They are great machines, They are not Geezer Glides, but you can put decent miles on them if looked after.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:16 PM
DKH1200c
Stage II
Default On the fence about wanting an Ironhead

Ok so I've been riding my 2009 Sportster 1200c for almost three years now and DONT get me wrong I love that bike. BUT I have had a long burning passion to own a OLDER Harley of some sort...You may ask why did I pick the Ironhead? 1.CHEAPER than a Big twin. 2. I want something to just ride around on here in my local area for "bar hopping" If you want to call it that. I totally understand what id be getting myself into, Ive read the other threads about how much of a headache SOME "most" Ironheads can be. That is why I am doing my best to research and get as many opinions as possible on this subject.

I want to know what I should pay for a good running ironhead, I've found a few for sale and have asked some people who claim to know old harleys and they've told me to run away from it because the price was too high or they didn't like the looks of the bike. I fully understand that any bike of this generation is a gamble due to age but hey you gotta roll the dice right.. In all honesty I really only feel comfortable spending 2-3k on a bike like this.
Here are the bikes I am looking at with the sellers description.... I WANT TO HEAR YOUR FLAT OUT HONEST OPINIONS (PLEASE)

Bike #1 1976 ironhead sportster 1000 $3600 OBO
Seller's Description
1976 Harley Davidson Ironhead chopper. Clean title. Less than 800 miles on a complete rebuild from B&B racing. Led Sled hardtail kit with oil tank and battery tray. S&S super E carb with teardrop air cleaner. New points, plugs, ignition coil, and tires. Starts right up, runs, rides, and stops, but front exhaust valve hangs above 70mph. I have a bunch of extra OEM and aftermarket parts as well.

Bike #2 1973 Harley-Davidson Iron Head Kick Only 1000cc $ 4000 OBO

Seller's Description1973 iron head sporty bikes it really nice shape to be the age kick start only new bars new cables great tires runs well works as it should RIGHT HAND SHIFT on theses years bikes I have made a hand shifter for my self to make it little easy to catch on shifting with your right foot “can be removed “ fires pretty easy S&S carb drag pipes single springer seat.

Thank you for all your advice, as I will consider your opinion thoughtfully when searching and maybe purchasing my first REAL Harley

Thanks

-Darrion

Quick Reply: -Ironhead Sportsters