Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-Ironhead Sportsters

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: -Ironhead Sportsters

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

And as far as what they're MOST notorious for...SPLITTING CASES. I can name at least 5 people that I know that either own or have owned them off the top of my head that have had to deal with this at one point or another. And if you search on the forums, there are countless others.

What do you mean by "splitting cases"?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They literally split the engine case...oil goes everywhere, stuff locks up, and the entire motor gets ****ed. To put it bluntly.

EDIT: Sometimes you can save some pieces, but generally, you WILL have to rebuild the entire motor. They will punch holes side to side in the cases...there's splitting cases to work on them, and then there's just having them split for you all by themselves. The latter of which being the one that SUCKS.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Hmm....Must be a West Coast thing. I've been riding an Iron and have ridden with plenty of others on them for nearly 20 years and have an indy buddy that has worked on nearly every one in a hundred mile radius of his shop. I've never seen one do as you describe. Sure, I have seen a cracked case orten but never seen the cases crack and split in two.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never said they were HARD to work on, I said they SUCK to work on. And they do. You have to use spacers and shims for every damn thing, and there are a million pieces for every part on it...that tend to break....ALOT.

And as far as what they're MOST notorious for...SPLITTING CASES. I can name at least 5 people that I know that either own or have owned them off the top of my head that have had to deal with this at one point or another. And if you search on the forums, there are countless others.

Most IH's are more trouble than they're worth. Literally. And the ones that aren't usually have half their guts replaced with aftermarket parts and aren't anywhere near stock configuration. The only thing I really like about them is that the earlier models had the ability to use a kickstarter.

I have a '73 right side shift IH sitting in my garage right now...and I'm gonna get rid of it soon.
5 people? I don't think thats enough to make that kind ofdetermination and you really can't rely on forums.I've known tons of guys over the years(25+ yrs.)with Ironheads and still knowquite a fewwhoride 'emeveryday day.Yeah, they have they're issues but if you know what you're doing and enjoy it,it ain't no thing.What makes you suchan expert on Ironhead Sportsters to say "most" are more trouble than they're worth and the rest aren't anywhere near "stock configuration"(whatever thats supposed to mean)How long have you been riding?How many bikes have you owned?If you want a nice reliable Evo..........thats cool,but your take on Ironhead Sportstersis based on myth and on what you've heard.They aren't as bad as people would like to make them out to be

Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

5 people personally equates to alot more on average. It's not a MYTH that they're not great motors, it's truth. If you constantly like wrenching on them, they're fine, but if you just enjoy riding, an IH is not the right motor to use. That's my only real point here. And yes, people constantly upgrade ignition, valve train components, and internals because the parts (and their OEM replacements) go to total **** very easily and need to be replaced quite often. So they do modify them from original configuration for reliability purposes. Compared to every other HD motor made, they are nowhere near the best. It's not opinion, it's not myth, it's FACT. Ask any tech and they'll say the exact same thing.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
birdmove
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode a 1084 XLX1000 for some years, and it was a pretty good bike. Mine had three problems while I had it.
1.It always would ping a bit even on premium gas on a hot day going up a hill.But I could could usually stop or minimize it by varying the throttle setting a bit.
2.Mine broke the clutch release mechanism under the engine cover.This was fixed under warranty, and the dealer said that was the first one he'd ever seen break.
3.The worst thing, and this isn't "because" it was a iron head, is that the gas tank rusted through within a couple of years.Obviously it was coated correctly.It took a Suzuki I once had almost 20 years before it developed a pin hole in the tank.
My XLX always ran well and got fantastic gas mileage-like 65 mpg.

jon

Old 04-02-2008, 06:12 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

EDIT: Sometimes you can save some pieces, but generally, you WILL have to rebuild the entire motor. They will punch holes side to side in the cases...
If you can't save the pieces, which I means you lose your engine cases, you are screwed. There ain't no rebuilding the entire motor. You are replacing it with a used one. As far as I know no one is making aftermarket Ironhead engine cases, at least they weren't the last time I checked.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Binny
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta 1974 IH.....don't wander too far from home on it......rode it for years, cursed it for years, tried every brake mod I can and the thing still can't stop worth a sheeot, sucks on the hi-way................That's whatI put up w/ to ride an IHsporty........everytime I come back from a ride I remember why I love myEVO sporty.....push a button= bye bye, smooth , fast, STOPS ON A DIME (1200R dual disc up front...nice w/ a passenger), reliable, etc...don't walk up to it every time hoping it will start.................I keepthe IHcuz I like to tinker, and it is a great peice of HD history..

LISTEN to ol' BEEZELBUB there (666er)....he speaketh the truth....and looking at his ride, he's definately a WRENCHER....sounds like he has experience to go w/ opinions here.................BINNY indy ATL

Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

As far as I know no one is making aftermarket Ironhead engine cases, at least they weren't the last time I checked.
Wonder why that is?

And yes, sometimes you can weld the cases and save yourself from having to start all over, that was what I was saying. It just depends on how severe the damage when it's done. Kind of luck of the draw on that one.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

As far as I know no one is making aftermarket Ironhead engine cases, at least they weren't the last time I checked.
Wonder why that is?

Probably because there's not that big of a demand for them because not that many of them need complete case replacements due to the engine flying apart. If and when the demand is great enough, someone will likely start making them.

Quick Reply: -Ironhead Sportsters