Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride on the 1200R

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Rockport
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Ride on the 1200R

Finally got around to getting my learner's permit so took out my Sportster for the first time. Thought it my be good to get a little time on my bike before the Rider's Edge Course next week.

Since I hadn't ridden any bike since 1966, and that was a Vespa and an old Cushman, I figured that baby steps were best for starting out. Got to riding up and down my street in first gear and doing some low speed turns at the cul de sac where I live. Then getting my feet up on the pegs and rolling on a little throttle. Wow!!!

Don't know if it was the heat, excessive clothing, or nerves but I was sweating like a pig. Temp was about 75-80 outside. However, didn't lay it over and have a grin from ear to ear.

That 1200 is one f***ing torque monster though. Gotta respect that.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM
emoore0023
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Ride on the 1200R

congrads on getting the bike out. The course will help majorly as I know there are a lot of us on here who agree on that.
I would say it was probably a little of everything with the sweating. you are right over the engine and going at low speeds is always hot but the nervers were probably getting to you a bit. And yes I agree you have to respect the torque of a 1200 but I also say respect any bike that you ride.

I still remeber the 1st time I rode I looked like a jackass eating briers.

Have a good time riding

Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Werbeck
Tourer

The Buell's they use at Rider's Edge will seem easy to ride now that you've had some practice laps on your 1200. Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/19046/0C3E8B26739648BA892307C6637C22F4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

congrats. You'll have that grin for some time to come

Old 03-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Ripsnortr
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you did great on your first ride!!

Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 PM
odieow
Stage IV

Sounds like you did great on your first ride!! I didn't fair so well on mine!! Two years ago I was attending a motorcycle safety course to get my license to ride my new 'o6 sportsterI had waitingfor me when I finished/passed the course,I thought I could go from a 250 they had at the training courseto a 1200 with in one day!! My boyfriend's Deluxe was alignedbeside minein our trailer but scaled back alittle to allow for the length of the handle barsso they wouldn't hit, in order for me to get my bike out without moving his I had to bounce my right handle bars up over his left handle bars to get my bike out of the trailer!! No small task but after removing his left mirror I was able to bounce my handle bars over his and rollmy bike out!!!!Some would ask why I didn't roll his bike out and then mine.......because if I dropped it I would NEVER get it off the ground, he was out of town for a few daysand it's just too damn big to ride especially having my license for only 4 hours and I didn't want to touch it, there are some things you DON'T do and I wouldn't mess with his bike if my life depended on it (slight exageration but let's go with it)!!!!! After an hour of struggling I bounced the trailer hard enough and my handle bars bounced up and over his and I got my bike out!!!!

When I started my bike up the excitement overtook me I had all the confidence in the world, I had succeeded in passing my motorcycle course and it was time to ride my bike!!! I started out on a straight awayand was doingfine, I came to a corner and thought'no problem I can handle this', I went to corner and missed it, the bike wanted to go straightand ran up on a sidewalk, if it hadn't been for the handicap incline I would haveslammed the bike into a granite curb!! Being as stubborn as a mule and dumb enough to risk it again I kept going!! I went to make another turn and ended up rolling the bike around a light pole and a bush narrowly missingthe building the bush was planted next to!!!!! My legs got a little scratched up from the bush and I was shaking form head to toe!!! I really thought I was going to hit the building when I lost control of the bike, I decided, at that point,that I needed to get the bike home!!!

My boyfriend was out of town that day so I had to call his best friend to help me put the bike away!!!! When coming that close to an accident that could potentially mame me or destroy my new bike I didn't have any strength left to get the bike back into the trailer!!! After that, my boyfriend took me to a really big, empty parking lot to practice cornering and to build my confidence.........I had no pride/confidence left after that first ride and shook like a leaf when I got back on the bike. After riding the parking lot for about an hour or so I was good to go but I will NEVER forget the first ride.....I haven't lost respect for the power of the bike either!!

To this day my boyfriend and his best friend can't imagine how I 'bounced' my handle bars over his handle bars.....I've offered to show them but I keep getting aresounding "NO" when I start bouncing the trailer!!!! They are taking my word for it....lol!!!!

Congrats on the ride!!!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 05:40 PM
fish hawk
6th Gear

Congrats on your first ride!!!

I just had my first ride on my 1200R. Never had been on a bike before but rode around the neighborhood with the wife teaching me what I needed to know. Had a great time, unfortunately my course isn't until May 30th so I have some time to wait.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not exactly a first ride but when I got my 1200 it was the first time on a bike in 14 years.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Today was the first day of the rest of your life! [sm=happybounce.gif]