Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Turn Signals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Red Turn Signals?

Beware of the turn signal police.............

Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 PM
SHOAT
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know the law, know your rights and always, alwaysstand your ground.

I can't remember whose quote this is but no greater truth has ever been spoken "Those who trade their liberties for freedom will soon have neither".

Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 AM
jackofhearts
Tourer

Benjamin Franklin, and how true it is.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM
TripleT
Intermediate

My lens are all smoked with the silver coated steath bulbs and they still emit the appropriate color when used. I have had no problems with the law. I think if the rears are red, you will be fine,

Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley
Think about it..... Detroit is currently shipping some 08 model vehicles with red rear turn signals, I have one. So you're saying they make special models for WV? What happens if I drive my brand new cage into WV or move there?

It just ain't so..

CA is the only state I know of that has vehicles specifically manufactured to meet their requirements, and that's EPA junk.
To answer your first question.....No, I'm not saying that Detroit ismaking models to fit WV regulations,asWV has adopted the federal regulations as their standard. However, each state can make their regulations more stringent if so desired, just as CA has done with exhaust emissions. So I'm saying that in WV, the stateinspects each vehicle to make sure the vehicle has all the satifactory equipment issued by the manufacturer that meets federal requirements.In WV, I can't just remove my catalytic converter on my truck if it becomes clogged, but in Ohio you can, as they do nothave inspections, and in PA,automobiles have to pass an exhaust emissions test I believe. In WV, I can't have darker than 35% tint on my front door windows, in other states you're not allowed to have any tint on the windows, in AZ/TX/CA you can have darker than 35% tint.

To answer your second question.....If you move here, your vehiclewould be required tohave the equipment supplied from the manufacturer....Wellthat equipment or a satifactory aftermarket replacement must be on the vehicle, (motorcycle, car or truck) before it can pass inspection and be considered road legal in WV, (again as WV has adopted the fed. regulations as it's standard). In WV, you were not allowed to have fog lights/off road lights, (KC baja lights), mounted higher than the bumper....then came the Jeep Liberty, (or whatever it is),with the lights mounted on the roof/roll bar as factory supplied equipment, so WV altered the regulations to allow lights mounted on the roof of vehicles, but theyadded certain regulations that the lights had to be covered while driving on the road. And No you will not be pulled over for having certain aftermarket equipment installed on your vehicle, if your vehicle is from a different state that hasdifferent requirements.

I deal with the Fed. Gov and WV State Regs everydayat work in the Environmental field....I look at the Fed. Regs. and then the WV regs. to see what each are. Each state can decide to go with more restrictive regulations than the federal regulations, if they so chooseby havingtheir state government vote to do so. So, It is so cHarley.....

Old 04-01-2008, 06:02 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

screw it....too much trouble to get the picture to load.

Be nice if ya could just delete a post here.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:39 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: WVHogRider

ORIGINAL: cHarley
Think about it..... Detroit is currently shipping some 08 model vehicles with red rear turn signals, I have one. So you're saying they make special models for WV? What happens if I drive my brand new cage into WV or move there?

It just ain't so..

CA is the only state I know of that has vehicles specifically manufactured to meet their requirements, and that's EPA junk.
To answer your first question.....No, I'm not saying that Detroit ismaking models to fit WV regulations,asWV has adopted the federal regulations as their standard. However, each state can make their regulations more stringent if so desired, just as CA has done with exhaust emissions. So I'm saying that in WV, the stateinspects each vehicle to make sure the vehicle has all the satifactory equipment issued by the manufacturer that meets federal requirements.In WV, I can't just remove my catalytic converter on my truck if it becomes clogged, but in Ohio you can, as they do nothave inspections, and in PA,automobiles have to pass an exhaust emissions test I believe. In WV, I can't have darker than 35% tint on my front door windows, in other states you're not allowed to have any tint on the windows, in AZ/TX/CA you can have darker than 35% tint.

To answer your second question.....If you move here, your vehiclewould be required tohave the equipment supplied from the manufacturer....Wellthat equipment or a satifactory aftermarket replacement must be on the vehicle, (motorcycle, car or truck) before it can pass inspection and be considered road legal in WV, (again as WV has adopted the fed. regulations as it's standard). In WV, you were not allowed to have fog lights/off road lights, (KC baja lights), mounted higher than the bumper....then came the Jeep Liberty, (or whatever it is),with the lights mounted on the roof/roll bar as factory supplied equipment, so WV altered the regulations to allow lights mounted on the roof of vehicles, but theyadded certain regulations that the lights had to be covered while driving on the road. And No you will not be pulled over for having certain aftermarket equipment installed on your vehicle, if your vehicle is from a different state that hasdifferent requirements.

I deal with the Fed. Gov and WV State Regs everydayat work in the Environmental field....I look at the Fed. Regs. and then the WV regs. to see what each are. Each state can decide to go with more restrictive regulations than the federal regulations, if they so chooseby havingtheir state government vote to do so. So, It is so cHarley.....
I'm not trying to make this more complicated than it really is. We are not talking about aftermarket addons like window tint or fog lights. My point is, this post deals with the color of the rear turn signal lamps in the US, and the states do not govern this issue. It's that simple.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is simple, no matter how hard someone tries to make it different. Fed law supercedes state
law, in court the state doenst have a leg to stand on if the law they are pushing interfers with the feds version. The case will be dropped 90% of the time. Lost the other 10%.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, let's keep this REALLY simple, ok?

ALL Nightsters come with red turn signals on the rear.......Period......There ain't no California version and their ain't no WV version...They are all red.....

So stop fretting and swap yours to red, but also mod them to work as brake lights.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had this mod for awhile and never had any trouble's with the Leo's.Well atleast not for red lenses

Quick Reply: Red Turn Signals?