Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Turn Signals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Red Turn Signals?

As an aside, a number of states do not have turn signal requirements for motorcycles. HOWEVER, if they are present on the bike, they must function.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read Va. code, thanks to PigInaBlanket and Va. requires front turn signals to be amber.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/1FD2B6D4B725452E899277A75BA0FE68.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108), dictates what is/isn't legal in the USA. State laws can not supersede the Federal law.

FMVSS 108 here: http://*******.com/ymaera

Old 03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: CapnAdventure

Just read Va. code, thanks to PigInaBlanket and Va. requires front turn signals to be amber.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/1FD2B6D4B725452E899277A75BA0FE68.jpg[/IMG]
Not quite true, the amber front turn signals are required by Federal statute in all of the US. See above post.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108), dictates what is/isn't legal in the USA. State laws can not supersede the Federal law.

Actually, Federal Law sets the minimum requirements.....In most cases, the state regulationscan be more stringent, but not less stringent. I can't seem to find the actual WV CSR code for it right now, but I think I printed a copy out & have it at home. I believe in WV, turn signals must be amber in front& rear....However, if the rear's are also being utilized as brake lights, red is to be used/allowed. What you can get away with at a WV Inspection station and what is written in the WV Regulations are two different things.

I even had a conversation with a co-worker last week about thisbecause he is hesitant to do the clear lenses with colored bulbs because he stated that the law reads that the "lenses must be amber"....not the bulb.So clear or smoked lenses would actually be illegal, but I see plenty of people in WV with both.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM
hogsport
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely want the red rear with the turn/run/brake module. I kept the amber in case some inspection was ever a problem.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: WVHogRider

Actually, Federal Law sets the minimum requirements.....In most cases, the state regulationscan be more stringent, but not less stringent. I can't seem to find the actual WV CSR code for it right now, but I think I printed a copy out & have it at home. I believe in WV, turn signals must be amber in front& rear....However, if the rear's are also being utilized as brake lights, red is to be used/allowed. What you can get away with at a WV Inspection station and what is written in the WV Regulations are two different things.

I even had a conversation with a co-worker last week about thisbecause he is hesitant to do the clear lenses with colored bulbs because he stated that the law reads that the "lenses must be amber"....not the bulb.So clear or smoked lenses would actually be illegal, but I see plenty of people in WV with both.
Think about it..... Detroit is currently shipping some 08 model vehicles with red rear turn signals, I have one. So you're saying they make special models for WV? What happens if I drive my brand new cage into WV or move there?

It just ain't so..

CA is the only state I know of that has vehicles specifically manufactured to meet their requirements, and that's EPA junk.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what I was thinking about the states that say modulating headlights permited, its a federal standard so a state cannot say its illegal and get away with it.(if the cival war taught us anything)

Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All these arguments about Feds trump States are great, my question is who has the time or money to go to court and make the argument? The smart thing to do is follow your home state laws cause the FBI sure aint looking for tail light violations.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing the law will get BS charges thrown out of court. Im sure your right the FBI aint checking tailights. But no one said they were either
ORIGINAL: scottwilliamson

All these arguments about Feds trump States are great, my question is who has the time or money to go to court and make the argument? The smart thing to do is follow your home state laws cause the FBI sure aint looking for tail light violations.

Quick Reply: Red Turn Signals?