Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I THINK I'M GONNA HURL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I THINK I'M GONNA HURL!!!

its all laid out for you in your owners manual, its like a 25 point check/service...

that price is outrageous, its an easy thing to do, buy a service manual for your bike and if you can
turn a wrench even halfassed you can do this easy in a couple hours if youre slow.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 5k service done at the Harley stealership...clutch cover gasket, spark plugs, inspection cover gasket, chrome oil filter, synthetic oil, and "inspect" or "adjust" lots of other stuff. 2.10 hours@$82.50. Grand total of $255.99. Front fork oil is NOT on the checklist to check for the 5k.

I'm in an apartment. I don't have room for a bike jack, nor do I have all the tools. Much more importantly, I don't have the patience for it. It would take me all friggin' day, and I probably still wouldn't get it just right! I'll consider an indy for the 10k, though. I've heard that is really expensive!

Teek

Old 03-29-2008, 12:32 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

ORIGINAL: evilscotsman

I'm fine doing oil, but the rest of that stuff is over my head,

- Evil
I won't venture a suggestion about the 5,000 mile checkup. But, as my father always told me, if a man builds something another man can repair it. At the time he was referring to the engine in his truck, a Detroit 318. He and I, mostly him, rebuilt the top end, dropped the crankshaft, and had it 'turned'.

But I used the same logic to maintain/repair my motorcycles, street and dirt, over the years. For some stuff it is definately better to have experience,transmission work or EFI for example. But a lot of stuff you can do yourself.

Ron

Old 03-29-2008, 12:46 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds like a rip off to me........

Old 03-29-2008, 01:21 AM
phatman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a lot of people think that the dealer is out to rip people off. It is a business they are in it to make money and keep people happy because if they keep people happy they will come back. For me it's easier to take it to the dealer for service. I work 50+ hours a week and my wife works nights and weekends so when shes gone I'm taking care of a 9 month old and 2-1/2 yr old. So to me time is money, I don't have any time so I give someone my money.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Djstorm100
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to sound like a new but what is a indy?

Old 03-29-2008, 05:29 AM
The Patriot
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must be a West Coast price [sm=ummmmokay.gif]

Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 AM
Barley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the $50 service manual and run the checklist myself. I don't know about most of you but generally I don't do the whole checklist on one day. Every time I have a minute - like when you're getting ready to install some new grips or something else you just bought! Just open the manual see what is due or coming up pick one or a couple things and do them yourself. If you don't know how... that's what the pretty pictures are for in the manual. If you don't feel comfortable about something just bring it to a shop for that thing.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: evilscotsman

Like I said, the service manager rattled off a list of stuff a mile long. He said it was a 3.5 hour service call, and that every item he mentioned was on a checksheet which I would be presented with upon completion of my service. That's a damn expensive checksheet. If I do get the service done, I'm framing that piece of $hit thats for sure!
Wow, really, 'cause like... what'd you pay for mods? I'm betting that $400 is a drop in the bucket. Your choices are:

1) There are things on that list you can skip, and some you can't. Skimp on the service to the long-term detriment of the bike
2) learn to do it yourself
3) stfu and write the check
4) skip the service altogether and ride it 'til the wheels fall off and wonder what happened

Seriously, buying the bike is only part of the TCO.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Djstorm100

sorry to sound like a new but what is a indy?
And independent, non-dealership service shop.

Quick Reply: I THINK I'M GONNA HURL!!!