Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Controls or FWD Controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Mid Controls or FWD Controls

ORIGINAL: acid_chipmunk

I am 5' 7" and had the hubby put forwards on my Sporty for me. I couldn't stand having my legs straight down and I couldn't reach the highway pegs. Now all he does is complain that he can't ride it because the controls are too close. He has to sit on the passenger seat to be comfy and use the controls right. (I personally think it is funny. Now the bike really is MINE!!!!!!!!)
WOW! You sure don't look like you're 5'7" and it's hard to believe you can reach the forward controls - I'd be amazed if you could reach mid-controls! You also don't lookold enough to be married!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: acid_chipmunk

I am 5' 7" and had the hubby put forwards on my Sporty for me. I couldn't stand having my legs straight down and I couldn't reach the highway pegs. Now all he does is complain that he can't ride it because the controls are too close. He has to sit on the passenger seat to be comfy and use the controls right. (I personally think it is funny. Now the bike really is MINE!!!!!!!!)
Do you still have your mids? I'm looking for a set of mids for my 02.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'3" and 210# I have 36" inseams and 38" sleeves... Yeah, yeah, a knuckle dragger, I know.

I like mid controls with highway pegs. I like the control I getwith mids, also, if I ride too far on the highway pegs my butt starts to hurt because my legs aren't carrying any of my weight in that position. I'd try adding highway bars and see if you really like them before you drop the coin for forward controls. BTW,youCAN shift with your feet on the highway bars, use your heel, ditto for braking...

Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
brian falcone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im 5 11 and after a year of mids...i just install a set of forwards from a 1200c...fit right on and i like theforwards better so far...i havent spent more than an hour on the bike yet so i cant give a definate answer, till later this spring anyway. only took about an hour and a half to swap them over. i still have the mids but had to use one c clip from the pegs as i droppedand lost one from the forwards, best 200 bucks ive spent so far. brian

Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: nolafishr

I am wondering what you guys prefer on your Bike, Mid or FWD Controls. Are the FWD Controls harder to reach? They would be good for guys with long legs I am sure. The Sportster I am getting has FWD Controls and wanted to hear from some of you and how you feel about this.
Not a guy... but forwards are the cat's meow for this 'over average height' girlie.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Drodd8
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

I had mid controld on my bike when I first bought it. My knees would be killing me after a 45 minute ride. I switched to forwards and that problem was solved. I do wish I had mids with highway pegs sometimes on the longer runs to have that extra foot position option when the tailbone starts to hurt and the *** starts to go numb....
I have mids on mine currently and a good long ride leaves me with sore knees too. I am saving my lunch money to get forwards on mine.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had forwards on my bike for years and this year I switched back to mids. I had forgotten how muchmore fun it is to run with mids, man you can tuck your knees in the tank when riding hard in the corners.
I found that forwards where real hard on your butt because you are carrying your entire upper body weight right onyour rear, the other thing I like is riding into the wind; with forwards you have to work to hold your knees in with mids you don't.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mid controls with highway pegs up front.

The larger tank I put on has made my knees spread out more and put them in a different relation to my fit on the mid pegs. They do nto seem as comfortable now as they were when my knees were hugging the peanut tank and the feet were in line straight beneath them. Now my lower legs are more twisted inward. As a result, over the last several days I have found my feet going up on the highway pegs at all possible opportunities.

This has me thinking about pushing the controls forward.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 PM
tweakin
Road Master

I am 5'8' and took off the mid controls for forward controls. My legs used to kill me on any ride longer than 30 min.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
wolverine66
Cruiser

I have mids controls and I went out and bought highway pegs for the front, Like having both option when I ride. Love the front pegs going through twisies.....
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Mid Controls or FWD Controls