Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Demonsmasher
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on shifting

Being new I have a question. On my 04 Sporster I have forward controls. I got my bike out last night to practice starting out in 1st gear on takeoffs. Now on the foot shifter I notices to change gears I have to tilt my foot at a angle to get my foot under the sifter. I have a small feet so you know. I can use the side of my boot to shift , but only contacts the side of my soul on boot if I don't tilt my foot to get it under the shifter. Is this normal on forward controls? Being new to motor cycles I want to understand all I can before getting out on the road and being able to shift is top on my list. I'm 5'5" if that helps you any.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Question on shifting

Well, I know most guys will tell you to shift with the side of your foot, not put your foot under. That is what I do, and it works better.

Second, can you post a pick of the peg and shifter, so we can see it, it may be bent if someone dropped the bike before.

Third, you can adjust the angle/height of the shifter a little, but I don't really know how to explain that here, but you can see the adjustments on there.

That's all I got on the topic.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

You can raise the height of the shifter peg by removing the shifter rod end from the shifter, then loosen the lock (jam) nut on the shifter rod closest to the free end of the shifter. Now, unscrewing the free end of the shifter rod from the rod a couple of turns will raise the shifter peg height. Re-tighten the lock (jam) nut and reattach the shifter rod to the shifter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25013/374AC3B93F644163A496AF8296756FB9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
blackout85
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: DSnoopy

Well, I know most guys will tell you to shift with the side of your foot, not put your foot under. That is what I do, and it works better.

Second, can you post a pick of the peg and shifter, so we can see it, it may be bent if someone dropped the bike before.

Third, you can adjust the angle/height of the shifter a little, but I don't really know how to explain that here, but you can see the adjustments on there.

That's all I got on the topic.
Why is it that you don't want to shift with your foot under?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: blackout85

Why is it that you don't want to shift with your foot under?
Side of boot shifting is OK, and recommended in some MSF classes, provided that your boots have a wide sole that adequately catches the side of the shift peg. It's also a good way to miss a upshift if you don't catch the peg just right with the side of the boot. I've done it both ways, but find getting the boot under the peg works best for me.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I guess it just depends on what you prefer.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cHarley

You can raise the height of the shifter peg by removing the shifter rod end from the shifter, then loosen the lock (jam) nut on the shifter rod closest to the free end of the shifter. Now, unscrewing the free end of the shifter rod from the rod a couple of turns will raise the shifter peg height. Re-tighten the lock (jam) nut and reattach the shifter rod to the shifter.

Thanks for the help. I changed it tonight. I will test it out on Thursday. Here in a before and after if you can tell.
BEFORE

AFTER

Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's much better. The shorter your legs, the more you have to turn your foot down on the peg to get under the shifter. I had the stealership do that before I took delivery of it. I sometimes use the side of my boot, too, but mostly I'll get under it. 5'3 guy with 28" leg length, 26" inseam. I'd have a hard time with the '03 and older forwards.

Teek

Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like you have it adjusted a lot better. That shifting with the side of your foot is OK for a grandma, but if you are trying to hang a third gear shift a 6 grand you definatly need the haveyour toe under theshifter.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It just takes practice. The best method for a positive shift is to get your foot under it. Keep doing it and it will be second nature. Just like braking, develop good habits.

Quick Reply: Question on shifting