Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster vs. Ulysses

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportster vs. Ulysses

Anybody here have a Ulysses, or riding experience on one that can compare the performance with the Sporty?

I'm really curious if it is noticeably faster, or if it's essentially the same performance in a different--although more twisty-capable--package.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sportster vs. Ulysses

Two very different bikes with two very different purposes...same basic powerplant, but even then, it's not even comparable as far as internals, gearing, and overall configuration go.

The XB12 is a sport/sport touring bike, the Sportster is a cruiser. It's just a matter of what your preference and riding style/expectations are.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Ulysses is a dual sport, eg. on/off road bike the Sporty is a street bike. The Ulysses is a TALL bike.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Dameon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Buell is tall, and doesn't look anywhere near as good (my opinion) but it will fly compared to my nightster and is even more comfortable, but it is really apples to oranges.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

I had an '01 Sportster with 100rwhp and the dealer let me take out a XB12X; I can tell you the Buell's a half a foot taller, a half a foot shorter, about 120lbs lighter and has about 50% more horsepower than a stock Sportster...around 92+ at the rear wheel. Definitely a fun bike if you're a skilled aggressive rider otherwise a skittish handfull that depreciates faster than anything else on HD's showroom floor. I didn't buy it but I sure enjoyed my ride. Settled on building myself (and my passenger) a 103 FXDXT.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/53A6E20EECCA4DC8A80C9C4D65241228.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

May want to wait. XB12Xt is coming soon. Much lower, better handling, although they may not be quite a comfy, easier reach. But the Buells are great bikes. I have an Ss, which I love dearly. Just haven't been motivated to take it out since getting the softail.

I used to be the Buell salesman, albeit briefly, at Miami HD. If you have any questions about them, feel free to pm me. You can also check out http://www.badweatherbikers.com/

More info than you can shake a stick at. If you're looking for a reasonably priced touring bike, you can't beat the Buell. resale is not as good though. Sporty gets poser points for sure. But no way will you be doing the kind of iron butt rides you can with a Uly.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

Stretchman, I'll be PM'ing you in a few.

I am interested in the XT actually, not the X. but, so far, no one HAS an XT. This will be a daily ride for me, so--even though I thought had outgrown the sportbike urge, and was apparently wrong--I'm looking for something that's noticeably more aggressive than the sporty, but will be better for 2-up touring, as well.

I've tested the UC, and at the weight and performance, I'm definitely not interested. Great toruing, maybe, but a suck daily ride.

On the Sporty, I find that I have two problems with it. My daily commute is 1/3 street, 1/3 superslab, and 1/3 twisties. So I find:

1) I twist the throttle all the way on the Sporty and it just quite give me what I'm looking for in acceleration, and
2) With the relatively sedate lean angle, I just don't find myself wanting to fully commit to curves at speed.

Sitting on the X model, I'm impressed with the big seat for rider and pillion. But if the performance isn't noticeably better, I won't be happy with it as a daily ride.

I've gotten back into riding from an extensive absence, and while the Sporty was a great stater bike for me, and my first cruiser, as time goes by, I'm looking for...I dunno...something...more.

At the same time, I have to get something the OL will be happy and comfy on. The XT looks like a good compromise, but I don't know enough about it to really tell if I want that, or if I really need to save my pennies for something like the R1200RT.

I'd love to get a bike with full luggage and comfy pillion, and be able to ride at the edge when I'm by myself. It's really hard to find since I'd prefer not to be seen on a UJM bike, but the cruiser isn't fully doing it for me.

Maybe a few years down the road, I'll be happy tooling along on a Road Glide, but right now, I don't wanna drag 800# of iron along with me everywhere I go.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
centurion
Advanced

I sold my 3003 1200 sportster & bought a Ulyssess, mainly because my wife wouldn't ride for more than 20 miles on the back of the sporty. The Uly on the other hand got voted the most comfortuble bike ske's ever been on. The Uly is alot faster than the sporty, has much better brakes, more lean angle & handles better. It was also waaay to tall for me (I'm 5' 10") & wasn't a Harley.I sold it after 18 monthes, lost a lot of money on it, & bought an 883R I'm actually happier on, the wife now has her own 883R to ride in comfort as well!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

...my wife wouldn't ride for more than 20 miles on the back of the sporty.
Yeah. I've heard that ad infinitum. And I have the Sundowner "touring" seat. So I'm trying to satisfy that problem for her at the same time I'm trying to satisfy the 30.1° rake/29.0° lean angle problem for myself.

It ain't easy--especially if you don't want to ride a UJM bike.

It was also waaay to tall for me (I'm 5' 10") & wasn't a Harley.
Yeah, I'm 5'10", too, and I'm hoping the XT version solves the height deal for me.

As for it not being a Harley...well...brand loyalty takes second place to "fun to ride". I love Harleys, I just need a bit more adrenaline flowing right now. I have no doubt that I'll end up with a Road Glide.

Eventually.

Someday.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

The Ulysses is a sweet bike. It outperforms the Sportster in every way. I'm thinking of getting one. I test rode most of the popular sport tours: Ulysses, Suzuki V-Strom, Suzuki Bandit, and Triumph Tiger. The Ulysses was second only to the Tiger but not by much. The XB is smooth, fast, comfortable, and nimble. I highly recommend. They lowered the bike from 2006 and the XT is even lower, I believe.