Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle Engine Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Screaming Eagle Engine Upgrade

There is nothing wrong with the heads you have. Get them reworked and add some bolt in cams.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the 1200 heads differ in that the bowls are larger. The Buell heads are modified 883's, so they give better performance after they've been worked over and the valve size is increased and the length is shortened. If you've ever seen modified 883's next to 1200's, you'd see what I mean (and from your sig, I'd say you've seen it ). The valves go all the way to the edge of the bowls, whereas they have a major gap on the 1200s. The SE and Buell heads are more efficient for hi-performance applications because of very subtle but important differences between them.

You can have your 1200 heads re-worked, but it won't come out the same in the end without alot of work to go along with it.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
SeanS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since my Nightster is FI, will I need to go to a bigger throttle body?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

No, I don't think so...I don't think you'll need any drastic changes to the TB, honestly. You can get the hop up kit for it, might be helpful, but it's not an absolute necessity.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM
SeanS
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

No, I don't think so...I don't think you'll need any drastic changes to the TB, honestly. You can get the hop up kit for it, might be helpful, but it's not an absolute necessity.
Awesome man. Now I just gotta wait for finances to get back up so I can do it. Thanks for the info!!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

I feel ya on the finances...I've got a whole LIST of **** I'm doin over the next year....I'm changing everything, pretty much.

Decided on a Frisco style chop. Gettin a 180 rear, caved in and decided to go to a rigid frame, runnin a fatty 16" up front, swapping to a chain, dual discs, 6 speed, an entire new top end and new cams and flywheel for the lower, ignition, drag electrics, a new tank and a new fender. And that doesn't include the widgets and gizmos that make all that **** work and fit, lol.

I even got the guy that does paint for Proper Chopper and the guy that does pinstriping for SPS and Subculture to help me get a REAL paint job on it, lol. (My girl is still repainting the Hellcat on the new tank, however...she did the original so it's only right.)

Basically...I'm re-building the entire ****ing bike. [8D] But SHHHH! It's still a secret .

It's a disease....I'm convinced.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
SeanS
Tourer

I feel ya on the finances...I've got a whole LIST of **** I'm doin over the next year....I'm changing everything, pretty much.

Decided on a Frisco style chop. Gettin a 180 rear, caved in and decided to go to a rigid frame, runnin a fatty 16" up front, swapping to a chain, dual discs, 6 speed, an entire new top end and new cams and flywheel for the lower, ignition, drag electrics, a new tank and a new fender. And that doesn't include the widgets and gizmos that make all that **** work and fit, lol.

I even got the guy that does paint for Proper Chopper and the guy that does pinstriping for SPS and Subculture to help me get a REAL paint job on it, lol. (My girl is still repainting the Hellcat on the new tank, however...she did the original so it's only right.)

Basically...I'm re-building the entire ****ing bike. [8D] But SHHHH! It's still a secret .

It's a disease....I'm convinced.
I dunno man, you're bike looks pretty bad *** as is, but toss up some pics when it's done (Who are we kidding, they're never done).

Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

Nah, I'm not happy with it anymore...but then I've been learning and expanding my influences since I first started on it last year. This is my first bike EVER, haven't even been riding for a whole year yet. I've been seeing more and more new and old styles that I'm really liking so I'm just gonna keep going until I can't think of anything that would make it look or ride any better, lol.

Then, it's done.

And then, I'll need another one so I don't get bored.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
SeanS
Tourer

Nah, I'm not happy with it anymore...but then I've been learning and expanding my influences since I first started on it last year. This is my first bike EVER, haven't even been riding for a whole year yet. I've been seeing more and more new and old styles that I'm really liking so I'm just gonna keep going until I can't think of anything that would make it look or ride any better, lol.

Then, it's done.

And then, I'll need another one so I don't get bored.
Wow. I've been riding I guess about the same amount of time as you. I ended up the nightster because I'm still a young guy (23) so I needed something still kind of light weight and agile. Did everything cosmetically I wanted to do, now looking at performance stuff because I bought a Yamaha R6 and I feel comfortable with a bit more speed.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm 23 too, and I just got the 1200 cuz I thought it sounded cool and I liked the peanut tank, hahaha! But my previous experience was with building hot rods and rat rods, wrenching on deisels, and building amateur SCCA cars. I'm the type of person that can't leave **** alone, hahaha! I just pick it up, learn it, and run with it.

Prior to this bike, I'd never even ridden a dirtbike or even a pocket bike. But I'm learning quickly. That much I can say.

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle Engine Upgrade