Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coat?? Paint???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Dameon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coat?? Paint???

I bought highway pegs off ebay from american classic motors, I like them a lot, seem to be well made, good quality, but they are chrome, and after a week or two of looking at them I have definetly decided that I want them black. I am looking for a local powdercoater but I am wondering how well would it work to just scuff the chrome and spray them with a rattle can, work it look alright or would I have to paint them every week to keep them looking worth a damn???

Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Whiskey_williams
Cruiser
Default RE: Powder coat?? Paint???

I would get themdone professionally, especially if you're worried about price like I was. I asked a guy that works at a custom bike shop and he said powder coating is cheaper than chrome AND paint! He said he had just got through doing his frame, tank, and fenders for around 200 bucks. I asked him about getting some Z bars done, he said around 30 bucks. So I bet those pegs would be even cheaper. I was suprised cuz it's one of those rare times where it actually makes financial sense to go with professional rather than do-it-yourself. I'm glad you posted thiss too, cuz I've been looking for nightster pegs but couldn't find any. I just bought some Cycle Shacks from that guy yesterday, I might tack the pegs on too.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

do it yourself... and i DO POWDERCOATING... as long as you prep it right and use a tough paint like epoxy appliance paint (rattle can) you are really going to have to scuff up the chrome, i would sugest starting with like 400 gritt sand paper and then go up to like 800... rub it down with rubbing alch. and then shoot it... if you do use the epoxy paint read the intstructions, it is picky but some hella tough stuff. I say do it yourself, if will cost you 10 bucks and they are only pegs not a center piece on the bike, so if they are less than perfect they will not really show and plus if you hate the job THEN you can take it to a powder coater, we would have to media blast though the paint and chrome any way, would not cost you any more cause you tried... give it a run! anything you can do yourself to save a buck why not! just take your time, no rush... the better your prep work is the better your finish product will be

Old 03-25-2008, 08:43 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always wanted to paint my engine black, I thought it would look cool with my set up, but was told it would be very expensive, so is that not right?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 AM
nolafishr
Banned

I would go with Powder Coating, it holds up better than Paint and it is stronger and last longer!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Dsnoopy... something like your motor you have 2 options, cheap and easy or ESPENSIVE... you can do cheap,
get an etching spary and hit the motor with it, that will basicly sand it for you, then shoot it with a high temp spray paint at least 1200* AT LEAST!!!!

or you can do it right,
pull it apart and have it high temp powder coated, some parts (well most of them) can just be regular powdercoated... plus it is TOUGH and you do not have to worry about as much BS... i do motor parts all the time. comes out fantastic!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

Dsnoopy... something like your motor you have 2 options, cheap and easy or ESPENSIVE... you can do cheap,
get an etching spary and hit the motor with it, that will basicly sand it for you, then shoot it with a high temp spray paint at least 1200* AT LEAST!!!!

or you can do it right,
pull it apart and have it high temp powder coated, some parts (well most of them) can just be regular powdercoated... plus it is TOUGH and you do not have to worry about as much BS... i do motor parts all the time. comes out fantastic!
Thanks for the info. I can't even change the pegs without issue, so I think I won't do the job myself!! I'll have to file this under my "to do" list. Also on that list is Jessica Biel, a Subaru STI, a Chopper, 30 acres of land with a large house in Telluride, and a few other things I'm not holding my breath for! LOL