Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worth it or worthless???????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:51 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: worth it or worthless???????????

Check the alignment of the rear axle in the adjustment slots. if the frame has been tweaked a little it could be a little longer or shorter on one side than the other.Just a thought. It's probably fine. Hopefully.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the car business as we speak. A salvage title is given to a damaged vehicle depending on what the state requirements says is a total loss. I have seen (no ****) less than one year old cars with 20,000 miles with a salvage title that only needed a fender, a headlight assembly, and a bumper cover. Those repairs do not add up to 70 or 80% of the value of a less than one year old originally $16000 car. But the rental places in IL get away with it all of the time. Avis isknown forgetting barely damaged cars "totalled".
Anyhow, my point is if you buy the bike with all intentions of keepingit, and not selling it in a year or two, it's a great deal (as long as it's straight and rides correctly). Request to take it to a reputable motorcycle mechanicto be looked over well. If it checks out, you got a nice bike for a good price and nobody will be the wiser of the title unless you tell them.
The way things get written off nowadays ( to keep the insured partieshapy or at least at bay) I wouldn't be scared. All they would have to do is take it to a Harleystealer to get the bodywork estimate and that would easily cover 80% ofthe value of a used 2002 Sportster.

By the way Kenny: Kelly Blue Book is only used for a selling tool in the retail business. Otherwise it's just worthless toilet paper. Any reputable bank or lending agency goes by NADA for actual loan values. Any dealer uses the Manhiem Auto Auction values to determine actual trade in values and mark-up in the vehicle you are buying to determine what "number" to show you they will give you for your trade. In real life that "number" they show you is actually BS from what they are "actually" giving you.
There's your "free" lesson about car sales and my 2 cents. Keep the change.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If it looks good and runs straight down the road, I'd give 3k for it. I doubt if it will ever depreciate much below that even with a rebuilt title.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally would NOT take the risk of buying someone else's problems (in this case they could be major)...I just don't understand saving maybe 2g's on a bike that has been trashed and rebuilt... If it was me that did the rebuild... Yeah... Then I know what was done to the bike... Otherwise... You really have no fkn idea... I mean... C'mon... Why do you think the owner wants to unload the bike at that cheap price?.... Hmmm.... IMHO... If you like to gamble... Go to Vegas... If you like to ride... Try again

Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Test ride it. Get it up to reasonable, comfortable speed. Put tension on the throttle lock and take your hands off the bars. If the bike tracks straight it would appear no frame damage. If the bike pulls off to either side that's an indication of a bent frame.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
emoore0023
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions on this matter. I am going to check the bike out a little more before I just jump in and buy it. All other opinions are always helpfull and thanks for all the thoughts everyone

Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM
nolafishr
Banned

I would look around some more, I just posted a thread on here with a link to an Ebay Bike, it is a 2000 883 with 950 miles, looks like a good deal if that is what you want. I purchased my other Bike last summer with a salvage title and got a great deal for $6700.00, the insurance company wrote it off and the only thing that was replaced was the gas tank and chrome trim, $3000.00 in parts and the bike only had 515 miles on it.
I had the bike inspected and now have a clear title and new bike. I am buying my second bike, 2001 Sportster 1200 with 3000 miles like new with extras for $4500.00, so there are deals out there, you have to look and know what you are looingk for and looking at, just be careful,
Do not jump on the First Bike you see, By the way I found my Bikes on Ebay.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kenny94945

I may be the minority here, yet here is my opinion.

What was the cost of a 2002 1200 Sportster? Maybe $7000.?
Standard depreciation per year $500 times six years = 3500.
Net value of a NO STORIES bike = $4000 (Which will have a resale value).

Also note that I did not take the time to Blue Book the value of this bike...... is it repainted or still Harleyoriginal paint and I am unsure what model it is.
I have always read that modificationadd no value to the bike, accessories...only you can decide if any accessories have value to you.

Net value OF THIS bike = $3000

So for a damaged tilte you are saving $1000. based on above senario.

Also, it is not known if the frame or steering head bearings still need repair? Is the rear swing arm still straight? Is it collision or flood damage? Are both rims really straight?

To gain a salvage title the damage had to be 80% or more of the value of the bike at the time if I am not mistaken. What short cuts were taken to get the bike on the road for less than the estimated damage report? So there are be receipts for these parts right? The estimate is available right?

Yes, if it drives well and if you are mechanically sharp you could take a chance. Yet $1000 in Harley parts and repairs came be spent pretty quick. I also agree that resale for you will be zero...you will be forced to keep this bike or trade it like the deal you are doing now. Since you are trading a automobile, is a winter vehicle a concern for you and yours? Personally, I would never buy it as a totaled bike/ salvage bike can be a monetray loser.

So,

1) I would confirm the Blue Book value first to see what value can be given to the salvage title before I made the decision.

2) I wouldspin the wheels and look for run out.

3) Verify the rear wheel alignment to the counter shaft sprocket.

4) Remove the gas tank and look for frame steering head damage and additionally check for steering stem, stem bearings and fork damage.

5) Even, with so little mileage, I would give the engine a compression and leak down test as due diligence since the state of the engine in the accident is unknown (under water, over rev, oil starvation for example).

6) Do our other co-membersknow of anotherno stories bike for $3000?

In closing, a salavaged bike scares me.

This was my opinion and I hope it is of some use to you in your decision.

Good hunting!

My '02 was $11900 new.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
emoore0023
Novice

OK I rode the bike we are talking about here with the rebuilt title today. Rode about 15 miles and the bike handles great. Didn't pull or anything and runs down the road straight as can be. I asked the guy today what happened to it and he says it was hit in the front end (one very small dent maybe the size of a pencil eraser in the frame itself) if he didn't point it out I wouldn't have seen it, the front end was put on new. The bike is strong and everything else seems to be in good working order. Is the small dent in the frame something that should make me stay away from this bike...???

Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd probably buy it if it was myself buying it for myself to ride & keep. If the frame ever became an issue you could strip it but a hardtail frame & springer front end & have saved yourself $3K in parts you would have to buy[8D]

Nolafishr -I don't find your good purchase on your 2000 883 R-titlefor $6700 all that great,I paid $7200 for my 06' off the showroom floor on Feb. of 07' with 1 mile on it. The 1200 might be a decent deal though.

Quick Reply: worth it or worthless???????????