Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you who PM'd me about the 6 speed for XL's...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default For those of you who PM'd me about the 6 speed for XL's...

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/xl/index.htm#XL6

Here ya go.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:39 AM
pr_capone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For those of you who PM'd me about the 6 speed for XL's...

Grrrrrrrr..... nothing for the 04+ yet.

Gonna have to start saving up for when it comes out.... this is a definite must have for me.

Thanks for the link... I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: pr_capone

Grrrrrrrr..... nothing for the 04+ yet.

Gonna have to start saving up for when it comes out.... this is a definite must have for me.

Thanks for the link... I'll be keeping an eye out for it.
Why? Just curious.

Originally Posted by "Baker site
2nd through 5th gear ratios are effectively the same as
stock, 6th gear is a true overdrive.
Adding an overdrive to that engine might actually result in more shifting by the rider and more vibration in top gear. Overdrives are great if 1) the engine has enough torque to maintain and 2) the terrain is flatter. If you live in a hilly area, even the high-speed roads won't be worth ever using the overdrive. It sure would be nice on the flatter, open roads where you can wick it up tho' *thumbs up*

Heck, the overdrive top gear is my 'Glide is absolutely useless below 65 or 70 and when I get it into the hills, I just pretend 6th gear doesn't exist. Even on a flat road, dropping the engine below 2k RPM in 6th gear at around 60 on a flat road lugs too much and transmits WAY too many vibes.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I love the 6th gear on my Dyna and it is fine over 60 mph and is as smooth as butter.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:42 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: chornbe

Why? Just curious.

Adding an overdrive to that engine might actually result in more shifting by the rider and more vibration in top gear. Overdrives are great if 1) the engine has enough torque to maintain and 2) the terrain is flatter. If you live in a hilly area, even the high-speed roads won't be worth ever using the overdrive. It sure would be nice on the flatter, open roads where you can wick it up tho' *thumbs up*

Heck, the overdrive top gear is my 'Glide is absolutely useless below 65 or 70 and when I get it into the hills, I just pretend 6th gear doesn't exist. Even on a flat road, dropping the engine below 2k RPM in 6th gear at around 60 on a flat road lugs too much and transmits WAY too many vibes.
Can't speak for him, but I live in the Southwest...I do alot of highway riding and I'm constantly "reaching" for a 6th gear at times. I also ride around 70-80 (in between) normally on the freeways/highways.

6th gear will actually be useful to me, that's why I want it.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea how much it costs? What would you estimate someone would charge to install?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

We discussed the Baker Sportster/Buell 6-speed gearset in more detail about a year about, along with costs, RPM reductions, etc..

Here is a link to that thread if anyone is interested;

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1658214/tm.htm

Here is some of the information I posted in that thread..

"Yeah, Baker makes a XL 6-speed gearset for the Sportster/Buell, and last I heard it cost about $2,200.

It includes the gears, trapdoor, shifter drum and forks, etc..

Also, they only list these for 1994 - 2003 bikes, so I'm not sure if they would work on the newer models.

The 6th gear 'overdrive' is a 0.86 ratio, and Baker shows a 443 RPM reduction at 65 MPH, 511 RPM deduction at 65 MPH, and 545 PRM reduction at 80 MPH.

So you could end up with a 400 - 500 RPM difference at speed, but you would have to decide if it is worth the $2,500+ (cost and labor) to go from a 5-speed to a 6-speed".

Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]

Why? Just curious.

[/quote]

I agree with chornbe. Always find myself going back to 5th unless I am really moving on a flat highway. BUT...if I was looking for a new tranny for my other bikes I would probably go for a 6sp too.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 w chorn and mandog and OFG My bike will go 90 in third and in 5th it cruises at 85 at 3700 rpm
will do in excess of 100 without going out of the power band. I think with a 6 speed you would lug the motor at 95 mph....

Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmm maybe the bigger baggers like chornbe and mandog have don't work as well with the 6 speed. Not sure but I am very pleased with mine. Sure it isn't exactly quick in 6th at 60 mph but it can still move ok and isn't lugging thatI can feel. IfI want some good passing power I can always drop it into 5th. Maybe the lighter bikes are more suited to them, who knows?

Quick Reply: For those of you who PM'd me about the 6 speed for XL's...